~Chapter XXVI~

Going around with Sauron took until mid-afternoon, by which point Vana was exhausted, mentally and physically. His sheer cruelty revolted her, and watching people being beaten was a nightmare, while her betrothed seemed to actually enjoy it. Vana shuddered. She was back in her rooms now, and sat on her bed, with a blanket draped around her shoulders. She held onto the ends tightly, as if they were the only things keeping her in Arda.

Did she want to stay in Arda, though?

Then she decided. Arda was her home. Legolas was here. Her mother had lived here before departing for better shores. Maybe one day she would go there, but not yet.

Not until Sauron was gone. Frodo could succeed. He had to. She'd help in whatever way she could. 'Til the end.

********

Sauron was as cold and distant as ever when she entered his drawing-room, where they were going to have a late lunch. Vana tentatively sat in the black chair obviously intended for her, as his eyes rested on her, void of all emotion.

It was like she was a lifeless object being examined for its properties, and if she didn't turn out useful, then he'd dispose of her.

Quite possibly because it was true. Vana stared at her empty plate. "What's for lunch?"

Sauron looked at her straight in the eyes, and in that moment she had the same feeling she'd got when looking at the Eye for the first time. Sauron's eyes held the same haunting-but-terrifying quality.

"Salmon fried in butter, with honey and mushroom sauce." He gestured to the dishes on the table, with covers over them finely wrought in silver.

Vana looked at her plate and picked up her fork, trying a bite. She nodded, as if she thought that it was nice. "Great."

He sighed. "If you do not want it I will have something else made. Just say the word."

Vana remembered what happened to people who did things in too slow a manner for Sauron. Her new lunch would take a while to make. "I'm fine with what we're having."

He smiled. "You are not. I see it in your eyes. Do not try to lie to me." His face took on an angry look. "You lie like a child. It is easy to see through; shallow and incompetent."

Vana could feel hot tears forming in her eyes for no good reason. She blinked them away as best she could, but the blinking technique doesn't work as well in real life as it does in stories. Her eyes still felt wet, but wiping them now would be like surrendering.

Which was never an option for Sauron. If he thought he could intimidate her, then she might as well wave a flag saying 'Do whatever you want to me and nothing whatsoever will happen.'

She let out a little sigh. "I honestly do not mind."

He smirked, the action making his face look all the more sinister. "I'll order something different for you, then."

"Well, if the food is already done-" Vana started.

He cut her off. "It is no matter. He clapped his hands, with their perfect nails and shape, together three times in rapid succession. There was a knock at the double-doors.

"Come in," he said sharply, answering the knock.

Two elves walked in together, one an elleth and one an ellon. They exchanged looks.

"Yes, My Lord?" The ellon spoke up.

"I wish for a different meal to be prepared and served to my fiancée. She does not like what you vermin have made. Remedy your incompetence now, before I am forced to take more. . . Drastic action."