~Chapter XXII~

Legolas paced up and down anxiously. Gimli's humour could only distract him from his worry for so long. He wondered where Vana was. Was she hurt? Did she need his help? Had somebody attacked her?

What if she was lying somewhere wounded, where no one could help her?

Legolas tried to banish the thoughts from his mind. They were all highly unlikely. Nigh on impossible. Why did those thoughts bother him then? He had never worried for Tauriel in this way. Even when his father had fought spiders in Mirkwood he had been confident in his victory. But with Vana, every instinct in him was to protect her. Keep her safe.

He tried for the eighth time to use their mind-connection, which he had recently recognised as their soulmate bond.

"Vana, can you hear me? Where are you?"

No response.

"Vana? Please answer. . ."

Nothing.

"Please?"

That was when he heard her voice.

"Legolas? Is that you?" She sounded tired and worn out.

"It is. Where did you go? I was worried."

"I. . . Left."

"You what?"

"I left. I had to."

"When should I expect you back, then?"

"You. . . You shouldn't."

"Vana, what in Arda is going on? You're not acting like yourself."

"Or maybe I never acted like myself until now."

"Vana, just tell me what's wrong. . ."

"Legolas, I've gone. I'm not coming back. This is goodbye."

"What? Vana, be reasonable. I don't even know why you are doing this."

"Well, you know I'm betrothed to Sauron by the prophecy, right?"

Legolas felt sick. "You didn't-"

"I went to Mordor, to Sauron. And now, I repeat, this is goodbye."

"My father was right about you." Legolas felt tears in his eyes, but he didn't blink them away. "You traitor."

Then Vana was gone. He couldn't feel her there any more. She had left him for the Dark Lord. And he felt like he'd broken into a million pieces.

********

"You traitor."

The words echoed in her mind.

Vana kicked off her shoes, then threw herself into her soft black pillows and red silk sheets and cried. She has planned how the conversation would go already today; she would be cold and calm and aloof, and sever their bond easily and mercilessly. This was just horrible! She didn't want Legolas to hate her! She wanted to stay with him. Maybe they would have married and had children. Vana pictured little elflings in her mind. Maybe one would look the way she did before the Orc mauled her face. Another might be a miniature Legolas. King Thranduil would have hated her, she reflected, but maybe Legolas would have convinced him she wasn't evil. Maybe one of their children could have been named after the cold King of Mirkwood. She smiled weakly at the thought.

But it was too late. She had made her decision and left the love of her life for Sauron. The thought of him made her feel ill inside. His icy fingers, his emotionless face. . . It was very hard to accept she was getting married to him.