Chapter one

Vanessa had never been really sure of what to do with her life. Every birthday that passed she seemed even sadder. One night, her friends and her had been at this party. Apparently it had been thrown in Vanessa's honor but they didn't even notice her disappearance.
"So much for a quiet birthday." She thought to herself as she walked out of the apartment building, hugging herself. The breeze picked up and all she could feel was her hair blowing onto her face.
"Friends who don't understand and party without you huh?" A voice from the distance said. Vanessa frowned looking around.
"Who's out there?"
"Someone." The voice responded. Vanessa was not going to let this creepy voice get to her so she began walking to her car. She heard footsteps so she walked faster. An arm reached out and grabbed hers. Vanessa stopped dead.
"Hello." The voice said again. She turned around to see a guy behind her. Really cute guy. She thought biting her lip.
"Why are you here?" She asked instead. The guy shrugged.
"Same reason you are here. I wanted to celebrate my birthday with some friends but they seemed to have more fun than I did and I felt out of the place."
"How did you know?"
"I can see it. That and you just came out of the apartment that the party was at. I sorta followed you but i was feeling the same way you did, don't think I'm stalking you."
"You sound like it." Vanessa said. The guy chuckled and Vanessa noticed his dimple cutting deep into his cheek.
"I'm James." He said.
"Vanessa."
He smiled again, his dimple deeper into his cheek.
"Vanessa sounds pretty for a girl like you."
"I'm nowhere near pretty and my family doesn't think so."
"How can they not see the beautiful in you?"
Vanessa sighed looking around. The parking lot seemed empty except for a few cars. Everyone must be partying still. The only noise was the police sirens along with ambulances.
"My parents hate me but love my brother and sister. That's the problem. They think I'm ugly."
"Why?"
"Cause," She looked through her purse and found the item she was looking for. "I wear glasses." She put on the glasses for him to see. James raised an eyebrow.
"That's what they find ugly? I find it cute. And smart."
Vanessa turned away but then James said something to stop her.
"I wear glasses but for no reason. I don't need them but I just wear them." He pulled out glasses from his front pocket.
"The only difference is that you wear them cause you want to. I have to wear them for reading from far away."
"You're so stubborn." He shook his head as she took off her glasses.
"So... Your friends party without you?"
He nodded looking back.
"Supposedly this was supposed to be for me but of course not."
Vanessa nodded. Same with her own friends. They had planned a surprise party but ended up having fun with her feeling out of place. If only Abby hadn't called that boy band....
"Anyway I better go. My sister's in our apartment alone and who knows what she could be doing."
"Wrecking your apartment?" James smirked looking down.
"Um probably. She's capable of doing that."
"Here's my number." He gave her his number and she gave him hers.
"Bye Vanessa. I hope this won't be the last time I see you."
"Don't worry. I'll be over here a lot." Vanessa got in her car and drove away, a warm feeling in her stomach.