Chapter eighteen

"James!" Iker yelled. Javier raced to the kitchen for a glass of water.
Iker picked up James, slowly laying him on the couch.
Javier came back with a wet towel and water. He placed the towel on James's forehead gently then opening a container filled with pills.
Iker bit his lip as a phone started ringing.
"Who's phone is ringing? Mine isn't." Iker looked at his phone screen but his notifications were empty. Javier dug for his.
"Nope." He then figured who would be calling and on James's phone.
"It's her."
Iker's eyes widened as he shook James.
"Hello? Vanessa?" Javier asked.
"Javier where's James?"
Javier glanced at sleeping James who didn't look like he would wake up anytime soon.
"Uh.. Well...you see.. " He stammered.
"It doesn't matter. I've escaped where they had me at."
Javier's lips spread into a smile. Finally some peace for James.
James's head begin turning, his eye lids fluttering.
"Do you know where you are?" Javier asked.
Vanessa turned everywhere but she was in the middle of the woods.
"No I don't see anything!"
James stood up and snatched the phone from Javier.
"Where are you, love?" He asked.
Vanessa finally saw a sign.
"Emer-"
The line went dead. James screamed into the phone, losing his mind. He wanted Vanessa back now but now he had no idea where she was.
Vanessa looked down at her phone.
It had died.
"Why? Why did you die on me?" She cursed, heavy tears in her eyes. It was like if her destiny was to be killed by those kidnappers. Or never return home. What did they want? They didn't have any number to call any relative of Vanessa's. What could they want?

Vanessa kept walking until she began seeing buildings and cars. She realized that she was getting closer to the main part of the city. She went on for a few more hours before stopping at a park bench, praying for help to come. She felt weakness, pain, hunger, and she was just unable to continue. There was unusually no one at the park today, which broke Vanessa's heart.

James paced back and forth, making Iker and Javier go dizzy. Suddenly they heard a knocking on the door. Iker went over and answered, seeing it was Natalie. She smiled at Iker then raised her eyebrows.

"Thanks for coming. He's over here." Iker led her into the living room. Natalie looked at James.

"Hey are you okay?" She asked. Instead of answering her, James went over to hug her. He needed as much support as he could get.
"Hi."
"Hi, again. I came here as soon as Iker called." Natalie looked over at Iker and Javier. They both looked away as soon as she turned.
"I...Life is always harsh on me. Why? First Daniela and now her!" James cried. Natalie knew how sensitive he was. Every little thing could cause him to be depressed for months.
"Hey don't even compare Vanessa to Daniela. Daniela left you by choice. Vanessa was taken without a choice. But trust me, she'll come back. Why would she run away? She makes you happy, I can tell. And you love her so that doesn't give a reason to run away."
"Hey um James, didn't she say she escaped? Shouldn't we go and find her?" Javier asked from the kitchen. Natalie bit her lip glancing down at James. He looked up at Javier.
"But where could we start? She didn't say where she was. It's pointless."
"But she could be in the outer parts of the city. Like in the less known parts?" Iker asked, reaching for his car keys.
"Yeah we could split up and two of us could look in the busier side of the city while the others could search through the unknown parts?" Javier suggested. Iker looked at him surprised.
"Finally you think!"
"Okay. James I could take you.... If you want." Natalie hoped he would agree. She secretly prayed.
James only nodded.
"Okay then let's go."

"Please if you find her...."
"Yes we'll call you, James. Natalie, you go look in the main part of the city while we'll search in the outer regions." Iker got in the driver seat while Javier climbed in the other side.
"Okay Iker it's the millionth time you've said it." Natalie pointed out.
"Just making sure." Iker waved then drove off.
"Shall we go?" Natalie asked. James nodded, praying in his mind.