Chapter twenty

The next morning James woke up hugging something warm.
Huh? He had a confused look as he raised his head up.
Vanessa, sleeping peacefully laid next to him.
He smiled burying his head in her hair. Her sweet scent attacked him.
"James...."
He looked up again at her but she hadn't opened her eyes.
"James..."
She talks in her sleep? James thought sitting up.
He stared her sleep.
She looks so beautiful. Like an angel. She gave me hope when I felt like nothing would be better. When everyone had turned their back, she came and gave me the strength I needed.
James slowly got up, trying to not wake Vanessa up.
I should get ready for training. My first day back.
James had missed training due to the capture of Vanessa. He had been feeling too depressed to play.
He looked around for a piece of paper and a pen. He wrote....
I didn't want to wake you up but I needed to leave to training. I missed so today's my first day back and I don't want the coach to be angrier at me. I'll see you later. I love you, my love.
----James
He laid the note on the night table next to the bed, propping it with Vanessa's cell phone.
He ran his hand through her hair and leaned down, kissing her forehead. Then he left as quietly as possible.

"James, my brother from another mother." Marcelo said as James walked into the locker room.
"Hey." He opened his bag and pulled out his training uniform.
"I missed you Hammy." Marcelo and Sergio both linked arms with James. Cristiano walked in but as soon as he locked eyes with James, he looked down.
James, feeling uncomfortable broke free from Marcelo and Sergio's grip and went into the bathroom.
* * *
When everyone was out in the field, they started doing their regular warm ups.
"How are you feeling?" Javier asked James as they were doing stretches.
"Okay. I feel more motivated."
"You ready for the game?"
"Well Ancelotti said I might not play because I'm a little out of shape. Are you a starter?"
Javier nodded proudly. Ancelotti was giving him the chance to "show what he had."
After all, effort pays off.
"Congrats. You've been working hard so you deserve more play time. Take advantage of this opportunity hermano (brother)." James gave Javier a reassuring squeeze on the shoulder and left running to one side of the field.
Javier suddenly had a guilty feeling. How could he do this to someone so nice like James? Love his girlfriend and secretly wish that their relationship fails so that he will get a chance.
James was a good teammate, a nice friend, a great brother. How could he do this to him?
While Javier had all these thoughts in his mind he hadn't noticed the ball which hit his side.
"Ayy pendejo!" Javier winced. All the players came running towards him. Carlo Ancelotti also approached him.
"Hernandez, what are you doing?"
Javier shrugged, rubbing at his side. So many thoughts were running through his mind, he couldn't even concentrate. He tried focusing so hard but instead he worried about not focusing.
"Yeah coach sorry I'll focus now."
All these thoughts make my head hurt.
"Javier!" Iker ran over to him. He had thrown the ball and it had accidentally hit Javier on the head.
Javier, a little pained after the hit ran over to the ball and kicked it straight to the net.
Iker gave a thumbs up and ran back to his position.
James on the other side of the field was practicing with Cristiano and Gareth. The were kicking a ball around in a circle.
"Who do you think will win for the game this weekend?" Gareth asked. Cristiano rolled his eyes.
"Is that even a question?"
James nodded in agreement.
"Well James I'm glad you're back. Are you feeling well enough to play?" Gareth turned his attention to James.
James nodded happily. He was ready to play and score and make his team proud. After all he now had his motivation back.
"You'll make it, no worries. You'll always have someone who will cheer you on. You're one lucky guy James." Cristiano gave him a reassuring squeeze on the shoulder and left.

After practice everyone started leaving. James walked slowly to his car.
"Aw who hurt my James?" Vanessa stepped out of nowhere. James raised his head and smiled.
"No one, I'm just tired. How did you get here?" He walked over to her and wrapped his arms around her waist.
"A friend. I wanted to see you practicing again. But I didn't make it on time." She let out a small laugh.
James leaned in and kissed her softly feeling like the luckiest guy in the world.
Javier had been watching everything from the other side, heartbroken.