Chapter 8 : Lost II

The round moon sat shimmering proudly in the night sky. Arien found himself walking along the side of the road as he slowly shoved his cycle forwards. He stopped infront of the bridge that lay overlooking the stream of the glistening water.

It was a very shallow stream.  Arien had gotten into it so many times in order to collect the avid coloured pebbles. Its seemless flow lacked both origin and  termination. Looking at the stream always remained him about how time seemingly did not have any of its hold on it. It remained him if his beloved mother and also....her. 

He sighed and then climbed onto the railing of the bridge lining it. Swinging both of his legs in air, he took in the alluring view that the night had to offer. Serenity befell upon his solitary existence.

He moved his hands over his shirt where the first two buttons were undone, giving a peak of the muscular built, his fingers glided across the pendent that hung from his neck. His beloved mother had gifted it  and had made him promise that he would never remove it. As his head started filling itself with the horrible flashes of his mother's death, his wrists clasped on to the pendent . The jade green stone, which was small suddenly appeared to fit within his clutched fingers. He was so immersed in his feeling of loss that he hadn't realised that his thumb had started bleeding. The cut that he had received previously had reopened itself.

All of a suddenly, he felt a chill run down his spine. As he opened his wrists, he found the jade stone lighting up.

His eyes widened,
"What the hell is tha- woa!"

he felt himself plunge into the stream. He had shut his eyes tight instinctively and was ready for the impact on the rough stone bed, but it never came. He instead found himself being engulfed by the raging waters. He felt as if he had fallen into a river rather than a shallow stream. He tried his best to swim upwards towards the surface, but the ferocious waves pulled him in. He finally could no longer pull himself up and fell into the depths of the murky waters.

Coughing out water, Arien's eyes slowly flipped open. As he tried to move, he felt a sharp piercing pain on his right flank. He fliched as his hand made its way towards the injury. His white shirt was stained with blood which he could clearly see under the beaming moonlight. He was slipping out of his consciousness as he had lost a lot of his blood.

"oye there!" he heard a voice calling out as blackness was slowly crippling his already low vision.

Arien wanted to answer but he couldnot find his voice. He moved his lips in an attempt to answer, for him to make some noise, any noise so that this person could locate him in the utter darkness. He did not want to die, no not yet. As he tried to get up he saw someone rush towards him.

.
.
.

"so you are saying that the attackes have increased yet no one knows the cause for it, what are our officials up to?" questioned a young pale face man whose murky eyes looked  dead as the night, slamming his fists into the long table that sat at the centre of this well lit court room.

"What is she upto? Doesn't the attacks from those 'beings' fall under her direct jurisdiction?" asked another, his skin appearing crumbled like that of used tissues. His face tried to project youth but his rest of the body spoke otherwise.

A single look at them and one would know what they were. Vampires, who had triumph over time. There were some who have been the part of history for over several centuries and millennia yet did not look a day older than half of semi-centennial, and there were some who looked older than the moon herself and had lived only for some decades.

"she was never useful, she just enjoys her stay at the imperial castle, that mongrel-"

" Mind your tongue, Count Harriet" smiled Arthur as he suddenly walked beside the man.

Silence befell upon the ruskus filled room at her arrival.

" Let's not get ahead of ourselves, please" cleared the head courts man as he nervously flicked away the bead of sweat from his forehead.

A chill ran down the spine of each and every member unanimously as they saw her enter. The cape that lined her soft yet resplendent shoulders, flest a trail of wind as it flew past her. The air around her always appeared dense, heavy enough to asphyxiate the defiers with slow and steady pain. One look at her eyes was enough to make any man shudder. The crowd present in the court room bowed their heads in unison.  "You don't have to bother yourself about what goes on in the imperial castle, count Harriet" came out her mesmerizing voice.

" I didnot mean tha-"

" Whatever you meant Count, you seriously need to focus on the tasks under your jurisdiction" Arthur interjected , as he placed his hand over the man's shoulder with a thud, patting it.

The distaste that formed on several of their faces was evident, yet there were also those, whose eyes lit up at her mere presence.

" I apologise, your highness" bowed the head courtsman whose age was apparent due to the fine lines dotting around his amber eyes.

He was tall, dark and well built yet his appearance gave away his position as well as the burden of his work.

"Shall we continue with the proceedings" she announced, sitting on the throne which sat embellishing in the sunlight at the head of the table, unfazed by the subtle loathsome stare directed at her.