The Boy Who Died

Chapter Thirty-Seven: The Boy Who Died

***Harry's POV***

Slowly I felt the pain begin to fill my body, I was able to feel the forest floor beneath me. The cold ground pressed against my cheek and my glasses cutting into my temple, everything hurt but I made sure not to move. Even with my breathing I did my best to hide it, not wanting Voldemort to know that I was alive, rather than dead as he thought.

It was strange, I had expected to hear cheering at my death, the one that Voldemort and his followers had worked so hard to achieve, but all I heard was silence. It was almost as if everyone were afraid to breathe, let alone speak.

"My Lord....my Lord." Bellatrix was the first one to speak, her voice soft and almost gentle. I still kept my eyes clothes, forcing myself not to reach for my wand, still hidden beneath my shirt. Also, underneath me, I could feel something soft, my Invisibility Cloak.

"My Lord..."

"That will do." Voldemort spoke up after a while. At this I could hear several sets of footsteps backing up. I didn't understand so I allowed my eyes to open as little as possible, allowing me to see through my eyelashes.

In front of me I could see Voldemort getting up to his feet, as if he'd fallen somehow. It seemed that all the Death Eaters were hurrying away from him, likely having tried to help him a moment ago. The only one who wasn't hurrying away from his side was Bellatrix, looking concerned for her master's wellbeing. Seeing all of this I closed my eyes again.

"My Lord, let me-"

"I do not require assistance." Voldemort cut her off, his voice hard and cold. "The boy...Is he dead? You, examine him. Tell me whether he is dead."

At the order I could hear someone slowly making their way towards me. I could feel my heart beating against my chest, panicked that I was about to be revealed and killed again, though, this time, for good. After a minute soft hands touched my face, surprising me. They pulled back and eyelid and felt my chest, feeling my heartbeat.

"Is Draco alive? Is he in the castle?" A familiar voice whispered, Draco's mother.

"Yes," I practically breathed the word. At my answer she withdrew her hands from me and I could hear her stand.

"He is dead!" She lied to Voldemort and all of his followers. At her words the yells of celebration began, spells being shot up into the sky, like Muggle fire works. I stayed lying "dead" on the ground. I understood why she'd lied, it wasn't for me but for Draco. She wanted to get in the castle, to save her son. Just like how Snape had wanted to save my mother.

"You see? Harry Potter and Embry Black are dead by my hand, and no man alive can threaten me now!" Voldemort's words made my blood turn to ice. For a moment I had forgotten about my friend and her sacrifice to try and end this all as well. Was she still alive as well? Pretending to be dead like I was? "Watch! Crucio!"

I could feel myself lifted into the air and awaited the pain, but it never came. I felt myself thrown into the air several times, causing my glasses to fall off. I remained limp though, listening to laughs that surrounded me.

"Now, we go to the castle, and show them what has become of their hero." Voldemort told everyone.

"What about the girl?" Bellatrix asked, she sounded more than amused by her cousin's death, not caring.

"Leave her," Voldemort dismissed the mention of Embry. I didn't understand though, he had worked hard for her to be killed too, why not take her body too? "Who shall drag the body? No-wait. You carry him. He will be nice and visible in your arms, will he not? Pick up your little friend, Hagrid. And the glasses- put on the glasses- he must be recognizable."