Dancing with You

Chapter Eighteen: Dancing with You
***Embry's POV***

Crying. All night that was all I could hear from Hermione. She cried over Ron's departure and while I wanted to comfort her like she'd done to me after Cedric's death I couldn't do it for two reasons. One, I couldn't sit there with her and pretend that I was sad that Ron had left, if anything I was probably relieved by it. I no longer felt as though I had to walk on eggshells around him or fear that his wand might end up aimed at me. I knew that most of his attitude was brought on by the locket but that didn't make me feel any safer when it wasn't his turn to wear it. Then the second reason, her comforting had done me no good so I knew me doing the same for her wouldn't be any help either.

Now all Harry and I could do was watch as she tied her red scarf around a tree while we waited to leave. Ron had been right, we didn't know where we were going exactly but we needed to keep moving to make sure the Snatchers and Death Eaters didn't catch us. Her tying the scarf around the tree would alert anyone that we'd been here, but she was only thinking of it being for Ron. She was expecting him to come to his senses and to come looking for us. I didn't know if he would but I wasn't going to say anything against it to her.

She turned away from the trees, clutching her beaded bag as she made her way towards us. Her eyes were red from all of her crying. When she was only a foot or so away from us she stopped and looked back at the trees. Without looking back at us she stretched out her hand. Harry took my hand in one of his before placing his other in Hermione's. With a tug from my nostril we were apparating, to who knows where.

When the sensation ended we found ourselves on a windswept hillside, the wind blowing my hair around. We dropped each other's hands and with that action Hermione's legs seemed to give out as she fell to the ground in sobs. Harry looked at me, as though I had the solution to this, but I was clueless on what to do. Sensing my silent answer he pulled his wand and just started walking in a large circle to set up the enchantments for us to camp here now. I knew he was hoping for the same thing I was:

For things to pick up.

***

A couple nights later Hermione and I were alone in the tent as Harry walked around outside, but still within the enchantments. I laid on my back on the floor and just watched as Hermione paced back and forth. She did a lot of that now, pacing. Once she had stopped crying on our second day without Ron she had become more angry with him than anything else and had taken up pacing. She would quietly rant about his idiocy and selfishness to herself as she paced, oblivious to the fact that I could hear every word she said.

"It you keep pacing it'll kill your feet." I commented. My voice seemed to spook her, like she'd forgotten I was even here. She just rolled her eyes at my comment but stopped when she spotted something. I followed her gaze with furrowed brows until I saw that they'd landed on the radio.

She hurried across the tent and started to fiddle with it. For nearly ten minutes all I heard come out of it was static until there was a single note of music that was followed by more notes. At the music she looked at me smiling and I returned the smile as Harry appeared in the doorway of the tent.

"It's a Muggle station." She told us. We all just stayed where we were, listening to the music, almost trying to forget where we were and what was going on around us in the world now. Then Harry held out his hand toward Hermione, a nervous smile on his lips.

She only looked at his hand for a moment before she allowed him to pull her back up to get feet. A frown a filled her lips and I watched as Harry carefully removed the locket from around her neck. I'd expected him to hand it to me for my turn but instead he simply tossed it to the ground, away from all of us. That was when they began to dance with one another.

"You took your coat off and stood in the rain. You're always crazy like that. And I watched from my window, always felt I was outside looking in on you. You're always the mysterious one with dark eyes and careless hair. You were fashionably sensitive but too cool to care." I sang softly along to the lyrics as I watched them both dance. It was nice, as though everything were right with the world. Reminding me of the night of the Yule Ball. It reminded me of Cedric.

"What are you thinking about?" I had asked Cedric as we danced to one of the slow songs near the end of the Ball. There were only a few couples here and there around the large room. Most had either called it a night or slipped off somewhere in search of somewhere to snog without being caught by a professor.

Cedric and I were one of the last couples dancing to the soft music that was filling the room. It was so peaceful.

"Just trying to figure out how I got so lucky." He smiled down at me. Just the simple sentence caused my hair to turn pink and my cheeks to flush red.

"Em?" Harry's voice broke me from my memory. I blinked a few times and saw that he was now holding his hand out to me for me to join him and Hermione.

I smiled as I took his hand and he pulled me up to my feet. He kept a hold of one of my hands while Hermione took the other and the three of us just danced together. Smiling and laughing like I had with Cedric the night of the Yule Ball. It was perfect.