I Hate Toads

Chapter Thirteen: I Hate Toads

***Embry's POV***

When the lift stopped I found myself at a dark hallway that looked as though it belonged in a prison. Which, now that I think about it is a perfect comparison for the Ministry nowadays. I followed the dark and damp hallway until I found a door that was slightly open. Slipping inside I almost wish that I hadn't. Floating at the sides of the rooms are Dementors that send chills through me as I remembered my first year at Hogwarts. Nasty buggers.

At the front of the room Umbridge sat high up on a bench with Yaxely and Hermione at her sides. I could see the nerves clear in Hermione's eyes, she was not enjoying herself right now. The next person I spotted was Ron standing in the middle of the room next to a woman seated in a chair, I assume that would be Reg's wife. I felt as for her being stuck in this position.

"Birtfork? What are you doing down here?" Umbridge quickly spotted me, causing everyone else to look towards me.

"Mary's my friend," I said quickly, hoping it wasn't a lie. Though, from Mary's reaction I figured it was safe to assume that she and Birtfork defiantly weren't friends. Harry and I just couldn't get someone that people actually liked? "I wanted to be here for her."

"Mary Elizabeth Cattermole?" Umbridge read off the frail looking woman's name.

"Yes." Mary nodded.

"Mother to Maisie, Ellie and Alfred? Wife to Reginald?" Umbridge glanced at Ron as she said this and Mary did the same. I walked over and stood beside Ron so I could see the fear in Mary's eyes. Ron gave her a reassuring smile and she looked back up at Umbridge.

"Yes." Mary nodded as Umbridge looked elsewhere. I discretely followed her gaze to see Harry off to the side. At that moment she moved her scarf, revealing a gold chain.

The locket.

"A wand was taken from you upon your arrival at the Ministry today, Mrs. Cattermole. Is this that wand?" She held up a cherrywood wand and Mary nodded.

"Would you please tell the court from which witch or wizard you took this wand." It took everything in me not to scoff at Umbridge's words, it seemed as though she'd only gotten crazier in the past year. I would had preferred less...living.

"But I didn't take it. I got it in Diagon Alley, at Ollivander's, when I was eleven. It chose me." Mary shook her head, looking at everyone in confusion at Umbridge's accusation.

"No, no, I don't think so, Mrs. Cattermole. Wands only choose witches. And you are not a witch." Umbridge leaned forward with a cat like smile. Her leaning caused the locket to fall into view, my eyes became trained on it.

"But I am! Tell them, Reg! Tell them Louisa! Tell them what I am!" Mary looked to Ron and I for help.

"She's telling the truth!" I tried to defend her but Umbridge's attention was no longer on us. It was now on Harry who had stepped out from the shadows and aimed his wand at her.

"What the devil are you doing, Albert?" She frowned.

As Harry speaks, his own face ripples through Runcorn's,

"You're lying. And one mustn't tell lies, Dolores... Stupefy!" Harry smirked as he shot a spell at her. A flash of red left the tip of his wand and hitting Umbridge in the chest so she slumped over. Yaxely went to draw his wand but Ron and I were too quick as we both sent spells at him.

"Grab the locket and let's go!" I told Hermione as I returned to my natural appearance again, seeing that Harry's Polyjuice Potion was starting to wear off now. Hermione yanked the locket from the toad's neck and jumped down from the stands. As soon as she did though all of our breaths started to come in plumes as the Dementors drew closer to us.