Chapter 9

*As always, this story is on-going and changes will be made along the way

Thank you to each and every one of you for reading my book. Your support is everything to me! :)

Feel free to comment & vote below!

** 

Isabella 

"Should we go and get something to eat?" Reyna suggested

I locked up the door of the coffee shop and placed the keys in my handbag. Night had fallen upon us and we had successfully managed to finish the last of the walls in the shop. I was impressed with our progress and I felt a flicker of excitement at the prospects of where we could go with our little place now that things were starting to come together.

"Yes please, I'm starved," my stomach growled in agreement, "But can we take it home? I could really do with a shower,"

"There's a great pizza place up the road," she suggested

"Lead the way," I smiled

I breathed in the cold nighttime air and an unexpected wave of calmness made its way over me. I had focused on nothing else today but getting those walls painted and I was surprised that I hadn't thought of him.

Until now.

I was completely distracted today and it worked. For a while, there was no pain. There was no sadness and no tears. The hollow feeling in my chest remained but I knew that wasn't going anywhere. It was a reminder of the part of me that I no longer had. What was he doing right now? Was he thinking of me?

You left him, Isabella

The voice echoed that in my head and a rush of guilt came over me. I hurt him that night and I would never be able to get his sad eyes out of my mind. The last thing I would have ever wanted to do was hurt him and now I would never be able to forget the way he looked as I walked out of his life.

"I'm so glad we finally got those walls done," Reyna said, bringing me out of my thoughts

"Me too. Now we can at least start with the next phase,"

"There's a lot to discuss. We have to pick a name, find suppliers, make sure the equipment is right, bring it ba-,"

"Please don't say it all at once," I chuckled, "It's overwhelming,"

"Sorry," she smiled sheepishly, "We'll make a list,"

"Sounds good to me,"

We entered La Pizza Pazza and my stomach reacted to the smell of tomato and basil in the air. I hadn't eaten in days and I was finally starting to feel my appetite slowly return. There were a few tables in the restaurant filled with people but we joined the take-away line. Reyna stepped up and we were next to be served.

"I'll wait for you by the entrance," I said

She nodded and turned to the older man behind the counter to place our order. I strolled to the entrance and leaned against the wall, a sudden wave of exhaustion washing over me. I had struggled to get a decent night's sleep these past few days and now it was catching up with me. Every time I closed my eyes, Giovanni was all I saw.

A moment later I heard my name and turned to face a familiar friendly face

"Lorenzo?"

"Hola Isabella," he smiled and pulled me in for a quick kiss on each cheek, "I didn't expect to see you here,"