Chapter 1: The Order

May 1996; two years after graduation

"I don't want you to leave," Charlie muttered and dragged his nose up the side of my neck as his arms wrapped tightly around my waist.

"Believe me, I don't want to leave either," I said and let my arms snake around his shoulders. "I'm going to be in the same building as Sirius Black- the Sirius Black! You think he's terrifying?"

"No, I think that he was wrongfully imprisoned for a crime he didn't commit," Charlie responded with a chuckle. "He might look a little gaunt. Azkaban can destroy you."

"It's hard to believe that I'm going to meet the guy whose face was on every wanted poster in Scotland," I said and pulled away from Charlie. "Are you sure you can't come? I'd bet that if you told Cristian why you were going, he'd let you."

"It's a secret society, my love. Emphasis on secret," he said. "Besides, Balaur might love you but that love doesn't extend to me. You could bat your eyelashes and get anything from that man, I swear. Maybe you should ask him for a raise."

"With great power comes great responsibility," I said and smiled at him. "I really have to go. I'll see you soon."

"Not soon enough," he said and pulled me back into his arms for a final hug.

"Merlin, you're a flirt," I laughed and pushed him away.

"You like it," he responded with a wink.

"Damn right I do," I answered and pressed a chaste kiss on his cheek before grabbing my luggage.

"No," he whined and his hands shot out to grab my arms. "A real one."

I rolled my eyes playfully and leaned to kiss him. He smiled against my lips and cupped my cheek in his hand.

"I really do have to go. They'll be expecting me," I said against his lips.

"Be safe. I love you," he said and pulled back.

"Love you too, big boy," I said and stuck my tongue out at him before disapparating.

Because of the prevailing situation regarding the Voldemort bullshit, I had to go to an apparation center and then walk to Sirius's house. This was something that I had decided against telling Charlie because he had grown extremely protective since the Order was reinstated. I could tell that he was terrified of losing anyone. He had preferred me to Floo, but I dismissed it with an 'oh, you know how I am with that'. Apparating directly into the house wasn't an option either, which necessitated the walk.

The walk was not long and even a little bit enjoyable. Spring was still at its prime, and the air smelled sweet, although there was an unspoken dread that hung over me. The streets seemed emptier than usual on a beautiful spring day, and those who were outside were looking over their shoulders more than at the lovely blue sky.

I wasn't nervous, although maybe I should have been. I had not yet encountered a single Death Eater. There was a part of me that knew that the world had gone to shit but the rest of me was stuck in a believe-it-when-I-see-it mood.

As I neared the place where the house should have been, a man began to approach me from my side. I continued to walk but I was hyperaware of his presence. I allowed my hand to hover over my wand as I watched him from the corner of my eye.

"Hey," he called and broke into a jog toward me. I pulled my wand out and whipped around, my wand pointed between his eyes. "Merlin! Y/N, it's me."

"Professor Lupin?" I asked and squinted at him. "I'm so sorry," I apologized and tucked my wand away.

"It's okay. I shouldn't have approached you like that," he said with a sheepish smile. "Please, call me Remus. I'm not your professor anymore."