Chapter 37: The Aftermath

I woke up late in the morning, alone in Charlie's bed at the Burrow. With a wince, I stood up and wandered down the stairs, finding most of the family gathered together in the dining room.

"You sure slept in," Bill said.

"Shut up," I said and yawned, sitting down next to Charlie.

"Hey, how are you feeling?" Charlie asked.

"My whole body hurts," I said. "You?"

"I'm a little sore," he said. "Tea?"

"No, I'm okay," I said and looked around the table. Harry and Hermione were at the table, eating silently. I was afraid to ask what the previous night had meant. Was the war truly over? How many died? What would happen to Professor Lupin's and Tonks' child?

So I was silent instead. Soon, Ron woke up and joined the table. He too ate in silence, sharing looks with Harry and Hermione that I couldn't decipher.

"Y/N and I have to go back to Romania," Charlie said, breaking the silence. "Soon. We have to see if everything... you know..."

"Of course, dear," Mrs. Weasley said. "Whenever you have to leave."

"I'm going to make sure we have all our stuff and then we'll have to go," he said and excused himself.

"I guess I should help," I said and stood, leaning to hug Mrs. Weasley before I left.

I started climbing the stairs to Charlie's room when I heard my name called from behind me.

"Fred, what's up?" I said and turned to face him.

"I just wanted to thank you for yesterday," he said. "I don't think I would have reacted to the wall falling so quickly."

"Don't mention it," I said and shrugged.

"Really, Y/N, thank you." Fred stepped forward and hugged me. I wrapped my arms around his torso, rubbing his back. After a few moments, he pulled away. "Good luck in Romania."

"Thanks," I said and smiled.

"And come down to the joke shop sometime. On the house," he said and turned to return to the dining room.

"Hey," I said as I joined Charlie in his room.

"Hey," he said and looked around. "Do we have everything?"

"I didn't bring much," I said and shrugged.

"Okay. I guess we should say our goodbyes and get back to the Sanctuary then?"

"Yeah," I said and followed him down the stairs. "Are you nervous?"

"About what?"

"I don't know. About what might have happened in Romania while we were here."

"Yeah, I am," he admitted.

"Me too."

We said goodbye to Charlie's family before apparating directly into our cabin. I quickly got dressed before Charlie and I ventured outside. It was quiet.

"I should go to the hospital, I think," I said and hugged Charlie.

"I'm going to go down and see what the dragon pens look like. Be safe," he said.

"You too."

When I got to the hospital, I pushed the doors open and found Hana, Luke, and Dmitri tending to the injured from the night before.

"Where the hell were you?" Luke asked when I came inside. "We could have used the extra hands."

"Yeah, sorry about that," I said.

"I talked to Balaur this morning. He excused her," Dmitri said. "It's none of your business what happened or where she was."

Luke stared at Dmitri for a moment before he nodded.

"I can help," I said and pulled out my wand. "You guys should take a break."

"There honestly aren't that many injuries," Hana said and looked up at me. She looked exhausted. "Most of them were death eaters and they all fled after news came that You-Know-Who was gone," she said.

I nodded. "Go take a break, Hana."

With a reluctant nod, Hana left.

"So, I guess..."

"It's over now," Dmitri said.

"I'm sorry I wasn't here."

"Don't apologize," he said. "Did you save anyone yesterday?"

I nodded slowly.

"Then you did your job," he said. "And you spared two lives. Daniel and Fatima were both treated and taken into custody. You did good, kid."

***

I walked home in the dark, having spent hours at the hospital. I felt even more exhausted than I had the night before.

"Y/N!"

"Hey, Cristian," I said as he jogged to catch up to me.

"I would ask how it went but..."

"Thanks for yesterday," I said and forced a smile.

"I was looking for you yesterday. I received word that the battle was going to be at Hogwarts but I couldn't find you anywhere. And then everything just happened all at once."

"I was looking for you too."

We walked in silence for a moment.

"I feel like I have to apologize for how I acted before," he said. "You were right. I was scared but so was everyone here, and it was my responsibility to do more."

"I'm just glad everything's over now," I said and shook my head.

"I suppose you're right. Maybe we can catch up sometime?"

"Of course. I'd like that."

"Go home and get some rest," he said and smiled. "We'll talk later."

I got home and found Charlie asleep on the couch. I pushed his hair out of his face and gently shook his shoulder to wake him up.

"Hey," he muttered as he tried to wake himself up.

"Come to bed," I said quietly. "What are you doing sleeping out here?"

"I was waiting for you," he said, sitting up and stretching his arms over his head. "You were gone for a long time."

"There were a lot of people at the hospital," I said. "How were the pens?"

"They were fine. None of the dragons were hurt or anything," he said.

"Did you talk to Alcott?"

"Yeah, she was pretty upset," Charlie said as he followed me into our bedroom. "Mad at Fatima and at herself for not realizing, I think."

"It's not her fault," I said and shook my head. "How would she have known?"

"I know. She's just going to need some time, is all."

"And how are you?"

"Me? I'm fine. I'm feeling at ease," he said with a small smile. "I feel guilty for feeling like this after how much we lost... but I'm just relieved that it's finally over and everything can go back to normal. Or whatever the new normal will be. You?"

"I feel exactly the same."

"So, did you and Dmitri talk about your apprenticeship?" he asked.

"Yeah, we did. Go to sleep, Charles, and we'll talk about it tomorrow," I said.

"Is it good or bad news?"

"Good news. Really good," I said and pressed a kiss on his cheek. "I'll be back in a bit."

I took a long shower and got ready for bed. When I went back to the bedroom, Charlie was already asleep. I smiled and turned off the lights, nestling beside him in bed and sighing. Charlie pulled me closer to him, the warmth of his body making my eyelids grow heavy.

"I love you," he muttered, his eyes still closed.

"I love you."