Chapter 27: Mad-Eye

Chapter 27: Mad-Eye

Late July, 1997

"We have to go now if we're going to help," I said.

"I know, I know," Charlie said. "I'm trying. Alcott hasn't sent back a Patronus."

"Charlie, we have to go," I insisted.

"You think I don't know that? I can't go if I can't get someone to cover my shift for me," he said, his voice sharp with stress, looking back at me as he slipped his shoes on. "I can't get in touch with Alcott so I need to find Randy."

"No, there's not enough time," I said.

"Damn it, I can't just leave here without someone to cover for me. I'll get fired."

"It's fine," I said. "You don't have to. I'll go alone."

"No, Y/N," he said immediately. "We go together or not at all."

"They need our help. I know you want to stick together but we can't risk you losing your job. We also can't be late. If Harry's going to get away from the Dursleys' place safely, we need everyone we can get. You stay here and I'll be back as soon as I can."

"Y/N," he said, grabbing my wrist.

"I have to go," I said.

"I know," he sighed. "Be safe, please. I need you to come home."

"I will." Charlie frowned as I stepped back. "I'll see you soon," I promised.

I apparated to the Burrow, almost immediately being crushed in a hug by Mrs. Weasley.

"Oh, dear, thank Merlin you're here," she said in a panic.

"What-"

"Please, come quick," she stammered, pulling me after her into the living room. I stumbled after her.

"Mrs. Weasley, what's- shit," I muttered, seeing George on the couch, his face covered in blood.

"I figured you're our best shot at getting him fixed up properly," she said. "He's lost his ear."

"How long ago did it happen?"

"They got here just before you did," Mrs. Weasley said. "Remus said it was dark magic."

"Then there's no way to grow it back," I said, kneeling beside the couch. "Accio towel."

"I'll get you some supplies," Mrs. Weasley said, rushing away.

I winced as I looked at his injury. It was still bleeding. I pressed the towel against his wound to stop the bleeding. He flinched slightly, still barely conscious.

"So sorry, George," I muttered, putting pressure on the towel. Mrs. Weasley returned with medical supplies. "Thank you," I said, looking at the pile. "Could you put pressure on this?"

Mrs. Weasley nodded and was quick to take my place, holding the towel against his face.

"More pressure, Mrs. Weasley. It'll hurt him more if we don't stop the bleeding."

I carefully unraveled gauze, tearing a long strip and folding it.

"Once the bleeding's slowed, we can use this to patch him up," I explained. After a couple of minutes, I directed her to remove the towel, conjuring some water to moisten a fresh towel. I carefully cleaned the area around his wound with the towel.

From the other room, I heard Mr. Weasley yelling, Within a few seconds, Fred and Mr. Weasley were hovering over George.

"Arthur!" sobbed Mrs. Weasley. "Oh thank goodness!"