Chapter 17: The Job Offer

"Lupin wrote back," Charlie called from the kitchen. I was in the bedroom trying to fix the headboard of our bed. A moment later, his footsteps approached from behind me. "No luck yet?"

"No," I answered. "Maybe you should slow down some." I stood and grabbed the letter from his hand.

"Alright, maybe you shouldn't like it so much when I'm not slowed down," he responded and took my place beside the bed, attempting to reattach the headboard. I watched him intently, letting my eyes wander over him. It was amazing how beautiful he was when he wasn't trying to be, with his messy hair raked back from his hands, his biceps flexing as he shifted the bedframe, the small sliver of skin that showed when he crouched down and his belt pulled his jeans back from his body.

"The sad part is that that's not even what broke it," I said and forced myself to look away from Charlie and to redirect my attention to the letter in my hands.

"Not directly," he said and looked back at me, "but I'm sure it had something to do with it."

"Probably, but maybe you should be gentler when you get on the thing," I suggested, thinking back to the morning, when he had flopped onto the bed, causing the frame to separate from the headboard. It was extremely amusing at the time, but it wouldn't be amusing to reimburse the Sanctuary, as they furnished all of the cabins.

"I don't know how to be gentle," he said.

"You're gentle sometimes," I said. "What about with the dragons?"

"Dragons don't like gentle touches. They like firm touches," he immediately responded. "Can you lift the other side?"

I nodded and tossed the letter down on the bed, helping him maneuver the bedframe to line up with the headboard. With a grunt, he slipped his thigh under the frame and reached for his wand, casting a spell to secure the two parts of the bed together.

"There," he said and hesitantly pulled his leg from under the frame. "It's good now. You can let go." I did so apprehensively and took a step back, watching as Charlie carefully eased himself onto the bed. "See, it's fine! Come here."

"No way in hell. I'd rather sleep in the other bedroom," I said and took another step back.

"It's fine," he insisted and bounced slightly. The bed creaked in protest.

"Nope," I said and shook my head.

"Y/N, would I ask you to get on the bed if I wasn't absolutely sure that I had fixed it?"

"Just because you're sure it's fixed doesn't mean that it is," I said.

"Suit yourself," he said and laid back across the mattress, folding his arms behind his head with a sigh.

I grabbed the letter off of the bed and tore the envelope open.

Y/N,

I am very sorry to hear about what has been happening at the sanctuary, and I would be glad to assist you in learning defense against the dark arts. I regret not having been able to teach you more as it is now apparent that it would have been more useful than I would have hoped. Your use of reparifors was very smart but, unfortunately, it will not always work unless the opponent you face is an amateur.

We can arrange a meeting in the future, although we will have to work around a rather tight schedule as Nymphadora and I are to be married. Please do not tell Mrs. Weasley. We haven't quite prepared for her reaction.

-Remus Lupin

"What's it say?" Charlie asked.

"He's willing to meet up to go over more defense against the dark arts... and he and Tonks are getting married. He doesn't want your mother to know just yet," I said and tucked the letter back into the envelope.