EIGHT

•EIGHT•
Matthew

"Mmm, this is delicious, Matthew!" Amara compliments the food and my heart warms, loving the fact that she enjoys my cooking.

"You c-can have seconds if you want." I offer, knowing she liked having seconds when she was here last time.

"You know me so well." She grins and I smile. "So Nathaniel, what do you do for a living?" Amara questions my brother and he smirks, leaning back against his chair.

"I own a club." He simply answers.

"A nightclub?" She tilts her head and Nathaniel chuckles lightly.

"Yeah something like that." He nods, picking up his beer and taking a sip.

"I'll have to check it out one day." She grins.

"No!" I quickly answer, knowing full well that the club my brother owns is far from a nightclub. "I-I mean, you probably won't like it." I cough and Amara furrows her eyebrows.

"Jeez, thanks for the great advertisement, bro." Nathaniel says and I clench my jaw. "Well, I'll be going to bed now, I've had quite a busy day. You two enjoy your evening." He winks, sending me one last smirk before leaving the dinner table.

"I'm sorry about him." I mumble and Amara giggles lightly.

"Don't be! He's really cool." She laughs and I smile gently. "He's lucky to have a brother like you." Again the butterflies begin to flutter around my stomach.

"Do you have any siblings?" Her smile drops at my question and I instantly begin to feel guilty. "I-I'm sorry, I shouldn't of asked." I quickly apologise.

"N-No, it's okay. He went missing a couple of years ago, we were like best friends and then he just disappeared." My heart breaks for her when she begins to cry.

Stupid Matthew! You shouldn't of opened your mouth!

I make my way over to Amara and pull her into a hug. "I'm sorry for making you cry." I whisper as she sniffles against my chest, her arms wrapping tightly around me.

"It's not your fault, please don't blame yourself, you weren't to know." She smiles up at me and I slowly nod my head, still feeling guilty.

"I-I had a friend who also disappeared a couple years ago." I admit and her eyes widen a little.

"Really?" She whispers and I nod, pulling a chair closer to her.

"He was my best friend, he was reckless but a good man. Did a lot of shit that made me question how a guy like him and guy like me could be friends?" I chuckle and Amara smiles gently.

"I'm sorry that you've also had to go through that." She whispers and I shrug. "You're very easy to befriend, I mean look at us." She nudges my shoulder gently and I nod my head. A small yawn then escapes her lips.

"You tired?" She nods her head and I smile, standing up and grabbing her hand. I begin to lead her up the stairs.

"Your hands are really soft."  She whispers tiredly and I chuckle.

I open the door to my bedroom and she doesn't hesitate to throw herself onto the bed.

"Matthew, I might have to move in because your bed is the comfiest bed I've ever slept on." She jokes and I bite my lip.

I take some clothes and then decide to change in the bathroom. When I come back out I freeze as I look at Amara laid out on my bed. She looks so beautiful, her face free of make-up and her beautiful smile that shines brightly.

My face heats up when I begin to feel my lower region stir.

"You okay?" Amara sits up on her elbows, staring at me with a small frown and I gulp.

I release a shaky breath and nod my head, deciding to quickly climb under the covers so she doesn't see the huge tent in my basketball shorts.

"D-Do you want to watch a film?" I whisper and she nods her head. I decide to hand her the remote and watch as she begins to flick through the tv for films. She ends up picking The Avengers. "I didn't think you were a Marvel fan." I raise my eyebrows.

"Huge fan." She states. "Are you?" I nod my head and she grins. "Look at us Marvel besties." We both begin to laugh.

She surprises me when she rests her head on my chest and wraps her arms around my waist.

"You're just as comfy as your bed." She sighs and I stare down at her in shock but she is too busy staring at the tv screen to notice my shock.

I hesitantly wrap my arms around her upper body and do my best to relax, but having this beauty on top of me is making that very hard.

Half an hour into the film and I realise that Amara's breathing has evened out. I turn the tv off, leaving us in darkness and begin to stroke her back as I stare at the ceiling.

What have I got myself into?

It feels so right having her here with me in my arms but realistically I know she just pity's me. She's only laying here with me because she feels sorry for me, how can she possibly see me in any romantic way when I look the way I do and the fact that I have nightmares.

I sigh and close my eyes, slowly drifting away into another peaceful sleep.

•••

"Matthew." I groan when I hear someone whisper my name and gently shake my shoulder.

"Shhh."

"Matthew, I need to pee." I slowly open my eyes to see Amara struggling to get out of my arms. My eyes widen when I notice the tight grip I have on her and I quickly pull away, muttering apologies.

I look away from her, beginning to feel flustered.

"Matthew, it's okay." She reaches forward to stroke my cheek and my heart flutters at the affection that she is showing me. "You make a very warm blanket." She winks and then climbs off of the bed and makes her way into the bathroom.

I release a sigh and fall back against the pillows. I check the time and see that it is eight in the morning.

Another sleep without a nightmare and now I can only worry when Amara is not with me, what my night will endure.

It's only now I realise how dependent I am becoming of the young woman.

And honestly it's scary.

But I can't let her go.

A/N
This is a tricky question guys? Matthew or Theo?🤭💜