THIRTY-ONE

*sensitive content*
A/N- be warned, you'll probably cry but when do I not make you guys cry🙂💜

•THIRTY-ONE•
Amara

Three weeks later

"I've heard that Professor James is back on campus." My ears perk up at Marie's words and I look at her with wide eyes.

"He's back teaching?" I question, suddenly wanting to see his face for the first time in three weeks.

"Well I heard some professors talking and apparently he's only in twice a week. He won't be teaching us anymore though." My heart sinks in disappointment. "It's okay, Amara." Marie gives me a sympathetic smile.

She then gets a notification on her phone so I go back into deep thought about Matthew. It's not until I hear her gasp that my eyes shoot up towards her.

"Oh my God." She whispers as she stares at her phone with wide eyes.

"Marie, what is it?" I question in curiosity.

She looks up at me and smiles.

"They've been exposed! The whole campus know about Zion and apparently the Dean has been involved in criminal activity as well."

A small gasp escapes my lips.

"They we're both arrested on campus about twenty minutes ago! We're finally going to get justice, Amara!" She pulls me into a tight hug and I can't help but smile in relief.

"This is amazing." I whisper and pull away from her.

"That means you two can get back together." She beams, clapping her hands but my smile drops. "Why aren't you excited?" She furrows her eyebrows.

"I've been sending him messages, asking if he's okay but he won't respond." I admit and this time Marie's eyes widen. "I miss him so much." My voice cracks and I feel my eyes begin to water.

"Oh, I'm sorry, Amara. I didn't think he would be completely ignoring you." She gives me a sad smile but all I wanna do is cry.

"I think I'm going to head home, I'm not feeling too good. Keep me updated with everything." I give her a tight-lipped smile and quickly rush out of the library.

As I round the corner I bump into someone.

I look up at them and a shaky breath escapes my lips when I see Matthew. Before I can say anything he quickly brushes past me and continues his way down the hallway.

I turn around and watch as he disappears from my sight. I bite my trembling lip and turn the other way.

He could barely look me in the eyes.

I feel a sudden surge of nausea hit me and I rush to the toilets, only just managing to make it into the stall before I'm throwing up my lunch.

"Mara?"

Bo.

I stand up on shaky legs and flush the chain. As I walk out of the stall I see my best friend staring at me- concern written all over her face.

I look away as I feel dread fill my body.

•••

3 days later

I stand outside Matthew's office.

Everyone has practically gone home. I go to knock on the door but it swings open to reveal one of the professor's. She walks out with a smile on her face and then looks down at me.