Chapter 13

Two people eating lunch and sitting across from one another in a dimly lit restaurant had the potential to be romantic, but luckily, this was not the case for Fred and Sage. They each had a butterbeer stationed in front of them, their upper lips covered in foam from time to time as they leaned back in their chairs due to uncontrollable laughter instead of leaning into one another with their chins on their palms.

Sage had been worried that going to lunch would feel like a date, but once she sat down with Fred she cursed herself for being so foolish. When it came to her and Fred, things couldn't possibly get romantic.

"That is not true. You are an idiot," Sage said and brought her glass to her lips to take a sip of butterbeer.

They had been talking about quidditch for the better part of the time that they had been there, mostly arguing over different parts of the season. Sage was already feeling the familiar aggravation that came with talking to Fred. Or just from Fred in general.

"Yes it is and you know it."

"It is not," Sage said stubbornly.

Fred rolled his eyes with an exasperated smile. "If you would have blocked that goal, Flint wouldn't have scored the point and we could have had the game."

"You cannot blame that loss on me! The whole game doesn't revolve around one goal you know," Sage said with crossed arms.

"That one did. If you would have blocked it it would have."

Sage groaned and brought her pointer finger up to poke Fred in the chest menacingly. "Fred, you little-".

"I have one turkey sandwich and one shepherd's pie," the waitress said as she arrived, interrupting Sage.

Sage plastered on a fake smile, still wanting to slap Fred across the face. "Thank you," she said and accepted her pie.

Fred chuckled while popping a fry into his mouth as the waitress walked away from their table.

"I'm gonna end up killing you someday, you know," Sage said offhandedly and dug her spoon into the pie. "You just love to piss me off."

"That I do," Fred said and took a bite of his sandwich.

They luckily moved away from the topic, conversation flowing easily between them as it always did.

As their meals started slowly disappearing from their plates, their conversation moved from school to siblings to their summer vacations.

"What do you even do during summers? Don't you live in a muggle town?" Fred asked her.

Sage rolled her eyes. "Yeah, but it's really not that bad. I mean, I grew up there so it's what I'm used to. I never really knew any different until I came to Hogwarts."

"Did you not even use magic in your house?" Fred asked with shock in his eyes at the idea.

She rolled her eyes again but with a hint of a smile. "I did, just not that often. My mom's a wizard so she told me what I was once I was old enough to understand and she showed me the basics, but my brothers got the muggle gene from my dad so I didn't use it much around them. It really wasn't bad, stop looking at me like that."

Fred fixed his face. "Anyways, back to what I was saying. What do you do during summers there?".

"I mean, mostly just hang out with my friends. We're not that close, but I have quite a few friends back at home. They just know that I go to boarding school during the year."

"So what do you do?".

Sage laughed. "Why do you want to know so bad?".

Fred shrugged. "I dunno, I don't know what muggles do. It's weird to me that you leave her and are like, not a wizard anymore. I don't know what I'd do with my days if I couldn't play quidditch."