34 - Into the Deep

Dinner is the first time that day which doesn't seem to drag on forever. As much as I hate this god-forsaken place, Benny is pretty great. And it feels good to have a girlfriend for the first time since High School – even if I'm technically her job.

By the time I've finished with my half slice of apple pie, my stomach is achingly full and I'm eager to stand up.

"I gotta get back to work, but I'll come check on you before I go, K?"

I nod in agreement and bid Benny farewell. The sun is still bright and I'm restless, so I decide to grab some fresh air before heading back to my bedroom. It's funny, I'm used to standing out wherever I go, but something about being in this place makes me feel invisible. People around me don't turn and stare, like they know who I am and want a piece of me. In fact, if they do know who I am, they don't seem to care. The feeling is a little disconcerting to say the least.

I've always hated living in the spotlight, and though nobody seems to find me interesting at the moment, I still can't shake the sensation that I need to watch every move I make. It's been so ingrained in me that I doubt I'll ever let down my guard.

I release a weary sigh and head toward the glass door that leads to the outer patio. The days have lengthened, so the early evening sun still hangs lowly in the eastern sky. The gusty winds from earlier have slowed, the air is peaceful and fluffy clouds line the bright blue skies.

The patio gives me a rear view of the sparkling dome to the East end of the building. The plants in the terrarium are different from the floppy palm plants, sharp succulents and birds of paradise that neatly line the walkways and sitting areas in front of me. The uniform stone masonry of the walkway is lined with bright green moss and the garden areas are meticulously landscaped. The tables and chairs are a decorative, unpainted, heavy wrought iron lined with bright cushions for comfort. It's late enough in the day that someone has closed the bright umbrellas which cast long shadows against the ground.

It's beautiful and feels a bit like the resort I frequented in Cuba with my father as a girl. But I don't really care about how lovely the sitting area is, or any of the random, listless occupants who are enjoying the last of the sun's rays. I step past the beautiful patio area and onto the lawn. I slowly make my way across the grass until I reach the chain link fence up close. It's much taller in person and the barbed top is menacing. I can't see myself being fit enough to scale that height.

"Miss Dietrich!"

I turn away from the outside world and back toward Cypress with an inward groan for Dr. Ash. He smiles from the patio and waves his arm, beckoning my return. With arms crossed, I return to the patio at a leisurely pace.

"How was your dinner?" he smiles warmly despite my grim expression. He may have won some brownie points during our meeting with Walter, but he certainly hasn't won me over yet.

"Fine," I respond with gentle shrug of my shoulders.

"Good. I'll be seeing you in session tomorrow, then. I hope you have a good rest tonight." He shoves his hands in his pockets with a slight nod and whistles a tune as he walks away, leaving me on the patio.

His message is clear, the same warning that has been drilled into me since childhood. Never forget, you're always being watched.

Though I'm bone-weary, it takes most of the night to fall asleep in this foreign place. By the time my alarm begins to wail, I feel like I might have slept a whopping three solid hours. I groan as I pull the blankets to my chin and shut off the demonic device. I'm going back to sleep.

What are they going to do, drag me out of my bed?

As expected, the staff leave me to sleep in. I manage to rise in time for my body to remind me it's time for lunch. A white sheet on the desk captures my attention. It appears someone left a schedule while I was sleeping earlier this morning. According to my Cypress day-plan I've missed two classes.