19 - Leap of Faith

My heart is thumping out of my chest as Walter presses his sculped torso and hardening pelvis against my core. My traitorous body responds to his proximity, my own heat throbbing with need as he moans into my mouth.

God save my soul, I'm dry humping Walter Kramer.

It would be so easy to just give in to Walter and accept that this is going to be my new normal. I mean, it just makes sense.

I could do far worse than the likes of Walter. He's gorgeous, successful, driven and any number of beautiful women would give their left arm to be in my place. He'll be my husband in less than a month, so I should just get on board and accept my fate like the good girl I promised Gunnar I'd be if he would only let me go to Columbia.

These thoughts whirl around my head as his cunning hands move up my sides, caressing my abdomen. His seductive lips carefully move to the corner of my jaw, working their way down my neck, making me shudder. His fingers move down my sides and his right hand slowly traces a line down to my core where he teases me with a feather-light strokes.

What was I just thinking?

I suddenly realize that I do not want to just lie down and submit to my fate. Coming to my senses, I give him a subtle push back. "Walter, you promised hands off."

My head clears of the hormonal fog and I gain a moment to catch my breath and return to a rational train of thought. The face of the man I love flashes across my mind, steeling my resolve. I've finally decided. Tomorrow I'll call Alex and we will go to his family to figure out what can be done. I will ask his father's help regardless of the consequences and finally let myself hope in a future outside the iron clad plans my father has for me.

Walter's expression doesn't change as he rolls off me and out of the bed, silently padding toward the bathroom. He opens the door quietly, then turns around with a pause before walking in.

"You can't be with him anymore. You do realize that you're going to be my wife in less than a month, right?"

I remain silent as my eyes fall to my polished fingernails that grip the edge of the soft duvet. Walter remains still in the doorway, and though I can't see him, I feel his gaze burning into me.

"You realize I chose you, Lily. Today I could walk out of here and find any number of beautiful, willing women to warm my bed, but I'm here with you. I expect you to cut ties to your life here and start acting like my fiancée, is that understood?"

Instead of waiting for my reply, Walter steps into the washroom and closes the door behind him. A moment later I hear the noise of the shower running.

I quickly rise from the bed and grab my pillow and some spare blankets, setting up a makeshift bed on the couch for the night. I have no desire to be in the same bed as Walter, and I never will. Tomorrow, I fight back against Walter and my father, and I will begin to carve out my own future.

***

The bright light streams through the open drapes of my high-rise apartment, and I'm confused for a moment when I find myself curled up on the couch until last night's events come back to me.

The delightful smell of coffee permeates my nose. Walter must have employed the coffee maker I never bothered to figure out in all my years here. This really is his apartment.

Rubbing my eyes, I take a moment to pad to my room and use the bathroom, slipping on my robe before I endeavor to engage with him for the day.

"Good morning, angel." Walter's deep voice comes from the dining room where he's already set himself up with his coffee and laptop, presumably doing some early work for the day.