18 - At the Crossroads

Present Day

I slip out the bedroom quietly, grabbing my phone from the charger on the dresser across the room before my exit. Walter stirs and groans from the bed and I freeze for a moment, making sure he's still asleep before I continue my path across the living room. I hate messaging so late, but I can't sleep when I'm consumed with thoughts about Alex and our conversation at school. I want so badly to ease his hurt, but I'm not sure I can. The only thing I really can do is apologize and hope he understands. But more than anything, I need to warn him.

Lily > You up?

A few minutes pass without response or any indication my message has been read, and I give up waiting with a heavy sigh. I begin the trek back to bed with heavy eyes still fixed on my screen, when suddenly, I see he's responding to my message.

Alex > So I'm good enough to talk to now?

I sigh and run a hand through my hair as I sit, propped against my knee on my couch in the darkness.

Lily > I'm so sorry about earlier. I hope you can forgive me x

Alex > Can you talk?

I quickly grab a hoodie from the coat closet and slip on my shoes, stepping into the hallway. I press the call button under Alex's name and wait as it rings, holding my breath as I lean against the wall.

He answers with a light breath but doesn't speak.

"Alex? Are you there?" My voice is a low whisper. It's late and I don't want to disturb my neighbours.

"Yeah." His voice is clipped, his hurt still very apparent. I cringe at his tone, wishing I could somehow take away the hurt I caused him today. Unfortunately, I'm about to make things worse. As much as it pains me, I need to be fair to him and tell him what happened.

"I'm so sorry. I would do anything to take back hurting you today, to change my situation, but, um..." I trail off, knowing I need to say something about the wedding, about my night with Walter. He needs to know Walter is sleeping in my bed now, but I can't bring myself to say the words.

"But you did it anyway, Lily. Why? Am I not enough? Or is it because you do want to run Dietrich with Walter? Because if that's what will make you happy, it'll break my heart, but I'll understand." His anger has faded, his voice now sad and quiet.

"No, I never lied to you. I don't want any of it, but there are things you don't know. I found out some things from Luca today, and Alex...we have to stop. If my father finds out about us, you'll be in danger. You and your family. I can't take that risk. I don't care what happens to me, but I won't let you or your family get hurt because of me."

He sighs deeply into the phone, digesting my words. "Why would your dad go after me or my family just because you don't want to be with Walter, Lily? It seems a little extreme, don't you think?"

It's my turn to sigh deeply. "My mother had an affair with your father before she died. My dad never forgave him for it – he even had someone killed for mentioning it a couple years ago."

I sigh heavily before continuing, "And he and Walter set the wedding date without telling me. Alex...if he finds out about us, he will kill you, and he'll come after your father when he finds out he's back."

"Okay...I can't even, with the wedding business right now Lily. But there is no way my dad had an affair with your mom – she died when you were a baby right? That would have been right before my mom had me, and your mom just had you. My parents were together at that time, and there is no way my dad would have cheated on her. He worships the ground she walks on. I mean it Lily, when you meet them, you'll understand. It doesn't make any sense. Luca's information has to be wrong."