14 - Otherwise Engaged

Everything about my relationship with Walter is forced, tense and painfully strained. Like walking on broken glass or navigating a tightrope with the fear that my safety net might be pulled from me at any moment.

As I walk beside him, I realize our time together is an oxymoron. Every moment with him feels like an eternity has passed, and yet as soon as he speaks, time flies ahead in lightyears and I'm under a spotlight with the sound of a rapidly ticking minute hand in my mind, wishing I could find the words I'm supposed to speak.

"Are you going to stand there all day, Lily?"

As consumed as I am with my thoughts, I don't realize we've already reached the street where a car waits for us.

"I'm sorry, I was lost in thought for a moment," I mumble with a sore attempt at a smile.

Walter nods and gives me a wide smile, gently pushing me inside and closing the door behind us. Surprising me, he takes my hand in his with a warm squeeze.

"We will go back to the apartment until dinner this evening, I assume you have something tolerable to drink at home?"

I suppress an eyeroll and give him another thin smile – I certainly don't have the expensive tastes he and my father have. "Just some Tito's and a couple bottles of red laying around. Sorry, I haven't been shopping in a while."

He raises an eyebrow with a distracted sigh and mumbles, "I'm sure it will do."

The ride is short, and we exit the car together. He heads toward the building ahead of me, surprising me as he enters the security codes and holds the doors open for me. I follow behind, subconsciously dragging my feet across the gleaming marble floor and into the bright mirrored elevator.

Another surprise as we reach my door, Walter produces the key to my personal space, pointedly staring at me as he holds open, waiting for me to enter. He is obviously here to ensure I'm aware that my personal freedoms have come to an end.

Walter wanders into the kitchen and begins to search the space as if he's the owner. My hackles raise and I clutch my fists, thinking to myself that I've had about enough of his imperious display.

I'm certain that he's reached the height of his arrogance until he pours out the last of my bottle of vodka into a glass and heads straight into my bedroom to search through my closets.

I've had enough of his boorish display and I'm ready to throw him out of my apartment. "What are you doing in my closet, Walter? Get out of my room!"

He turns back to me with a severe look but doesn't speak until he's found what he's looking for. He pulls out a long, scarlet evening gown I'd purchased and never worn for a fundraiser gala last fall. I had fortuitously managed to elude attendance with Walter, citing important school deadlines as my excuse. He places the dress on my bed, then proceeds to pull out drawers until he finds my undergarments. I'm nearly shaking as I watch him pull out a matching red thong, garter and nude stockings.

"Get yourself ready. We've dinner in an hour. I'll be doing some work until it's time to leave."

He takes his leave, closing the door behind him. Then, as though an attempt is being made to claim the last of my sanity, my phone rings at precisely 4pm with my fathers name displayed across the screen.

Even though I'd rather throw my phone across the room, I answer the call. My father is in an uncharacteristically good mood and shares with me how he'd been part of the surprise that Walter planned to for this evening. He's genuinely excited as he reminds me how much Walter cares for me and how he loves me and can't wait until I'm back home in Miami. Thankfully, the call is over in less than three minutes.