6

The five had spent the rest of the school day cruising around in Luke's truck. Much to Clay's dismay, the atmosphere completely shifted back to normal when Nick and Luke had gotten back into the truck. Karl, Alex, and Clay all shared a few more reassuring words before the duo got back into the truck with food.

Clay found himself falling back into his silence as the rest of the group continued to chat and laugh together. Karl and Alex both attempted to rope him back to the conversation, but eventually let him be after a few failed attempts.

Clay now stood walking towards George's house, schoolbag haphazardly thrown over his shoulder. He turned a corner and looked up at the sky, dark ominous clouds quickly forming. He sped up his pace down the long street.

He passed by a few houses before coming up to a smaller, older home at the end of the street. Clay abruptly stopped in front of it, glancing between the address he wrote on his palm to the home.

So this was his place?

Clay hoisted his backpack over his shoulder before stepping up the pathway to his front door. his eyes scanned this exterior of the house as he went up. The house obviously was neglected for some time and needed some repairs in some areas.

The grass was dying, the cement on the driveway was cracked, the pavers was uneven, the list went on. Clay cautiously walked up the cracking steps on the porch before stopping at the front door and knocking.

After a few moments of silence, Clay knocked again. He stood around for a moment before pulling out his phone and clicking on George's message contact- displaying messages the pair had just exchanged some time before.

me
I'll be over in about 20 minutes

3:34 pm

George :]

alright

i'll probably be by the door :]

3:36 pm

me

K

read 3:36 pm

Clay took a double-take when three dots appeared on the bottom of his screen, then disappeared again. He furrowed his brows in confusion before hearing noise come from the house. Before he had time to react, there stood George in the doorway.

Clay immediately noticed a large purple discoloration on George's cheek, trailing upwards to only continue under his goggles. Clay's expression faltered a bit before he was met with George's smile.

Unlike his first day of school, George was wearing something a bit more comfortable today. He sported a large, black hoodie with a simple plain t-shirt over the top of it. He had on some baggy- but nice looking- jeans on to top the look off.

"Hey! Sorry about that," George chuckled, pulling the door slightly farther open. "But, come in- it looks like it's gonna start raining soon." George's accent hung off his words- causing Clay to slightly crack a smile. He obliged and stepped in, picking his head up and looking around at the interior of the home.

Unlike his own home, the walls were ridden with no decorations and still had yet to receive any sort of personalization by the residence. Empty frames ghosted the walls and various boxes lined the hallways, a lot of the belongings seemed untouched. The front door was closed with a light click behind him.