Comforting

As the hours passed and night slowly crept up on me, the realization that it would be only twenty-four hours until I had dinner with my parents hit me. It's not like I wasn't excited to see my mom, I was, but I wasn't excited to see... him. I still don't trust him at all and I don't think I ever will, but I'm sure my mom wouldn't be happy at all to hear that and, probably, would end up taking my father's side. He has never been a real impact in my life nor even cared enough to contact me himself without having my mom there, so that tells me all I need to know.

Even then, this dinner means a lot to my mom. It's easy enough to see from her desperation to convince me to come even with the added effect to allow me to invite someone over. I can't blame my mom though, I know she just wants our family to be together for once. Once a user and abuser though, always a user and abuser. My father is living proof of that and I know he actually won't amount to anything in his remaining life than what he has known thus far. I just can't seem to escape that grasp of his like I had once before. As always, he will always have his hands in my life whether I want it or not.

I could tell Winter has been worried about me too since I mentioned the dinner to her. She always keeps glancing at me every other minute or so to make sure I'm not too lost in my thoughts, but even her concern isn't enough to deter my countless predictions as they course through my brain. Winter knows now not to get in the middle of them, but rather to support me and hold me close and let me ride it out as nothing can be done to prevent them.

"Do you want anything to drink?" She asked, pressing her slim fingertips to my cheek to show her affection. I smiled warmly and nodded back to her, turning my head to kiss her fingers softly.

"Maybe something to calm my nerves?" Winter chuckled quietly and went off to the kitchen, turning the stove top on as she poured water into a kettle.

"I know you're not the biggest fan of tea really, but would you prefer some black or green tea? I think it'll do you some good." She said, holding out two tea bags to choose from.

With a small chuckle and I lean back to look at her in the eyes, "Can I request some hard liquor in it if I tell you to choose a tea?" Winter lightly punched my shoulder and sighed.

"No, no you cannot. Alcohol doesn't solve all the worlds problems, Adelle." She said, smiling down at me. Before I could even open my mouth to respond, Winter quickly cut me off while sighing. "No, alcohol doesn't solve most of the world problems either. You're gonna get some very healthy and unspiked tea whether you like it or not." I dropped my head in defeat as Winter snickered from behind me.

This is what I love. This is what I needed. Nothing more, nothing less, this is perfect for me. These stupid conversations, the meaningless teasing, and the playful banter. Yeah... this is what makes me happy...

Even if my mom and father don't accept me or like what I do, in the end I'm just doing what makes me happy. I'm doing what I need to do I can live and survive with a smile on my face. It's been rough, more than that even, but it'll be worth it when I don't have to worry about meaningless things like their opinions. I just need to focus on what I want and what I need and that alone is enough to get me through this shit fest called life. With Winter, it'll be a walk in the park. We don't always get along, but all lovers have their ups and downs whether they like it or not. It's just apart of a relationship that is necessary.

A hot cup pressed against my cheek, burning it slightly to the touch enough to scare me. Winter giggles and apologized before coming back around the couch that I had been sitting on this whole time to set it down on the table in front of us.

"Sorry, I called your name out but you didn't answer me. I figured I needed to do something to bring you back to reality." Winter snickered, kissing my cheek she burned lightly. I sighed back at her and  looked at the ceiling.

"If you want me to come back to reality just kiss me next time you weirdo. I think I'd rather have that then a warm red mark on my face that looked like I got hit." I joked. Winter put her hands up and laughed it off before leaning against my shoulder to cuddle me.

"I think my way is more fun though, unless you want me to flash you while I'm at it." She snorted. Winter always loves to bring up our first meeting in some way, even if it doesn't have a place in the conversation or not.

"Listen, I know it's true, but do you really have to keep bringing it up? You make me sound so... superficial. You can't say anything either with how much you—" She pressed her whole hand against my mouth to cover it while her face began to flush a soft pink tint.

"Sh, don't say another word about it. I will bite you." She threatened me with her soft puffed out cheeks as if it was a threat. I smiled and laughed at her, attempted, threatening tone until she dropped her hand and crossed them instead while she began to pout.

"Sometimes it's hard to believe how much of a child you are, but that's what I like about you. Some of your personality traits are just like night and day and it's... just flat out adorable and funny to me." I said with a soft grin. She rolled her eyes at my words and leaned up against me more as we both closed our eyes and fell asleep without noticing...