Chapter One

new rings & a moody blond boy

   In Manchester, England, near the Arndale Centre, stood two nineteen year old boys. A blond boy with a light grey sweatshirt that had the word, quiet, in big bold letters and a pair of black skinnies as the brunette boy wore a spruce blue t-shirt and a pair of black skinnies.

    The two boys had walked out of the Urban Playground, after three hours of trying to beat the cube, playing putter, and eating at the Butcher. It was a quarter till four in the afternoon, they still had to stop by a store in the Arndale Centre and visit the Arndale Market before heading back to their University, The University of Manchester.

    With a very short walk and turning the corner of Halle Square, the blond and the brunette walk into Beaverbrooks. Beaverbrooks is a jewellery store, branded for both men and women with accessories of rings to watches in diamonds and precious metal. Beaverbrooks was located in the Manchester Arndale, a large, glass-fronted mall with high street fashion, electronics and homeware shops, and a food court.

    The two boys walked into the jewellery store and were greeted by a variety of accessories. Upon the receptionist desk, they were greeted by a strawberry blonde with a name tag that read : Mairi-Jo Cassidy.

    "Welcome to Beaverbrooks! My name is Mairi-Jo Cassidy, but you can call me Mj or Mairi, whatever you prefer. What can I help you with?" The strawberry blonde greets the two boys cheerfully.

    "Hi, Mairi. Could you just point me to where the men's jewellery is?" The brunette asks Mairi.

    Mairi smiles at the two customers in front of her and nods her head as she has another employee stand in her spot to help the next customer in line. "The men's jewellery is just over here, so if you both will follow me." The blond and the brunette follow Mairi to the men's section. "There is a variety from edgy bracelets to designer cufflinks and wedding rings, bracelets, necklaces, pendants, and just your normal, average rings." The strawberry blond lists off.

    "By your normal, average rings you mean expensive, designer rings?" The blond asked as he eyed the said jewellery as they passed by them.

    Mairi looks back to glance at the blond boy and she hesitantly nods her head, she doesn't want to lose a customer just because of the prices. "Not all jewellery is expensive." She stops by a case and points. "Like this one here, it's only forty-five pounds and this watch strap is ten pounds!" Mairi tells them.

    "Why's it red?" The blond asks with his eyebrow raised.

    The employee falters for a second. "It-it's on sale. It was forty pounds, but that doesn't matter, let's go see some rings shall we?" Mairi was quick to change the subject and continued walking.

    The blond glances at the brunette. The brunette gives his friend a look that clearly stated for him to stop talking. The blond rolls his bright blue eyes in response. A few seconds later, Mairi stops and so do the two boys.

    "Here we are, is there anything in particular you are looking for?" She asks the brunette.

    "Not quite sure, I just know I'm looking for a ring." The brunette answers.

    "Well, before you go looking for one, do you know your ring size?" Mairi disappears behind a counter that shows cases upon cases of rings and other accessories.