41 - Love in the Face of Quidditch

It was the last week before the Easter holidays, and most students were looking forward to the Gryffindor vs Ravenclaw quidditch match on Saturday, before the train home on Sunday. However, Astrid and her friends had all decided to stay at school for the Easter – taking extra apparition classes to prepare for their tests. Toby didn't need to stay for the extra lessons, but decided to anyway, feeling like he'd rather spend his holidays in the castle with his friends.

"James, I know you said that you want to stay here over Easter to practice your apparating," Astrid was saying the Friday night before quidditch, "but we all know it's because you want to investigate the room."

James scoffed. "Why can't it be both?"

"Because we all know your brain isn't advanced enough to think about two things at once." Delilah said, grinning.

"Actually, that's a lie." James sated confidently. "I am always thinking about three things: quidditch, the room, and whatever awesome prank I'm going to pull next."

"You mean the pranks which have been lacking lately?" Toby asked.

"Yeah, if I remember correctly, your last prank was – what – Halloween? It's almost Easter." Ophelia added.

"You're slacking, James." Delilah said.

"Alright, alright. In case you lot haven't noticed – I've had a girlfriend, who didn't exactly approve of my 'troublemaking', for the past few months." James responded.

The conversation suddenly felt a bit uncomfortable after a mention of Maddie.

Delilah cleared her throat. "So, you're thinking about quidditch right now then?"

"Yup." James replied. "Thinking about how I'm going to crush you tomorrow."

"Oh, really? Because I bet I have the support of everyone in this room."

James looked unconvinced. "You really think so?"

Delilah nodded confidently, and looked at Astrid.

"I will be supporting Ravenclaw tomorrow." She said, matter-of-factly. "It is my house after all."

James looked hopefully at Ophelia. "Sorry, bud, I'll be sitting in the Ravenclaw stands with Astrid." She said.

"Toby?" James asked, losing hope. "Come on. Man to man, support Gryffindor."

Toby laughed. "You think because we're the same gender we have some inherent connection that means I have to support your house in quidditch?"

"Does that mean you're not supporting Gryffindor tomorrow then?" James asked.

"I'm staying impartial." Toby replied.

"Oh, come on!" James and Delilah exclaimed at the same time.

James stood up. "Anyway, I'll see you lot tomorrow, I've got to get a good night's sleep if I'm going to win that match!"

***

Delilah and James had accidentally positioned themselves, that morning in the great hall, so that they were staring right at each other as they ate breakfast. Once they had noticed one another, it turned into glaring. Neither of them said a word, but they both understood it meant 'I'm going to crush you today.'

Suddenly Ted moved along the bench and into Delilah's direct view – blocking her eye contact with James.

"I understand you want to win, but you're not going to find out Gryffindor's tactics by glaring at their captain."