Chapter 1 - Éléonore

I walked around in the forest feeling very lonely. Yes, I was a complete hermit but it was too lonely there. I was surrounded by snow and bare trees, not a single animal in sight. My hunger was increasing by every minute. I had all the time in the world so I didn't hurry in my hunting. Any kind of animal blood is alright for me to drink; not that I knew since I hadn't tasted human blood but I knew that my sister's blood had been just as tempting as my dog's.

I hadn't seen anyone in a month now; not since I left home. That first day as a vampire was a disaster. Breakfast together with my twin-sister, Elodie, was really odd. I was hungry, I couldn't think of anything else then how nice it would be to stick my teeth into something alive with warm, tasty blood.

But I didn't.

I told my sister that I was still was sick and that I would stay home again. I didn't know how I was going to act out there, surrounded by so many people. My family lived in Paris and I normally studied at the university.

As my sister left the house I lay down on the floor. I pressed my fingers to my temples. I didn't have a headache but I should've had considering all the thoughts that were going through my mind. What was I? Could I find someone else like me somewhere? Who created me and where is that person now? What was I suppose to do and where were I suppose to go? I probably couldn't stay there.... or maybe I could?

My dog lay down next to me on the carpet. I could smell his blood. I didn't have that burning feeling in my throat that vampires always had in movies. I just really, really wanted the blood. Therefore I lost control and before I could realize what was going on - I held a life-less dog in my arms.

I had always loved my dog but I didn't cry because of it anyway, it wouldn't bring him back...

Now I had made up my mind; I was going to leave so I did; after I buried the poor Golden Retriever of course. My family would probably wonder where the dog had gone but I could always lie and say I brought him with me. We had a secluded garden in the back so quickly dig a hole. By quickly I do mean quickly. I was very effective and I didn't get tired so it went fast - but not in ultra-speed.

I was all alone in this and by every minute I learned something new about my new self. As I left the house I brought some clothes in my bag so that it wouldn't look suspicious to my family but later I dumped the bag in a dumpster. I didn't feel like I needed it to where I was going. The cool autumn breeze did nothing to me so I obviously didn't need anything thicker.

I left a note on the kitchen table:

"I'm a loner.

We all knew this day would come.

I'm sorry for leaving and taking

Marty with me. Maybe I'll come

around sometime but don't worry

about me; I'll be fine."

I actually didn't leave to protect them from my vampirism. No, I left because I was selfish and because I wanted to leave ever since I was 10. Now twelve years later I finally had a reason to leave - so I simply left.

Where did I go then? I wanted to go somewhere were no one would come walking by. Me leaving was me choosing to stay all by myself as long as I would live, or maybe I was already dead... but no matter for how long my life or death would continue; I was going to be alone.

And I was fine with that.

I ran to Russia to make sure I would settle down in a place where I couldn't bump in to anyone. I travelled through forests and cities and I didn't stop unless to sleep for a few hours under a tree, then I continued again. People didn't see me as strange; I looked just like any human.