Before

~ Before ~

Hannah

"Get him in the carrier and hurry up with your stuff. We're leaving. Now."

I slipped Noah into the carrier and threw four shirts into the bag, followed by two pairs of pants. Cameron stood over me, his arms crossed, surveying my every move. Finally, I threw the bag over my shoulder and picked up Noah's carrier.

"It's about time," he said.

He pushed an I.D. card into my hand. "These are our new identities. Study it carefully, because you'll never see Hannah Magil again."

My eyes trailed to the floor as Cameron slipped his arm around me.

"Awe, babe, come on. It's not that bad. You'll get used to hearing that new name eventually. Just think of it as a new opportunity. Hannah was worthless, and now she's dead."

I pushed my way past him as I said, "Let's go, Cameron."

"Ah," he said, stopping me. "That's Zach to you, Phoebe."

I nodded to him and said, "What about Noah? Please don't make me..."

"No," he said. "He can keep his name. He's just a baby, no one will care about him."

I smiled and breathed a sigh of relief. Cameron led me out the door as I asked, "Where are we going anyway?"

"Oh," he said, smiling. "We're taking a little trip over the Atlantic. We'll be in Italy by tomorrow."

"Why?" I asked him.

He spun around and pushed me back. "I already told you," he screamed. "Now stop asking so many questions!"

I looked down to the sleeping baby in the carrier and closed my eyes. "Okay," I whispered.

Cameron led me from my house. I didn't have time to cry. He pushed me into the car and backed out of the driveway.

I knew we'd never be back.