Miracle 14

~ Miracle 14 ~

Hannah

   When we got to the room, I asked Greyson to stay out in the hall with Noah.  I didn’t want to risk seeing him getting as hurt as I did… or worse. 

   I opened the door slowly and peeked inside.  The room looked clear from what I could see.  I hurried inside and shut the door behind me.  That’s when I heard his voice.

   “Back so soon?” he asked.  Cameron was leaning up against the heater with his arms crossed.  I took a step back and said, “Look, I’m sorry, okay?  Just don’t hurt me again…”

   “I’m not going to hurt you, Hannah,” he said.

   That was the first time he’d used my real name since we’d gotten here.  That wasn’t the first time he’d made a promise like that that he couldn’t keep.  I took a deep breath and reached for some of my clothes, stuffing them into my suitcase and carry-on.

   “Where do you think you’re going?” he asked nonchalantly.

   I pursed my lips together and said, “Uh, nowhere.  Just tidying up the place a little.  It was a mess, you know –”

   He cut me off.  “I know you’re leaving,” he told me. 

   I didn’t say anything.  Instead, I closed my eyes and waited for him to hit me.  I waited for him to scream at me and tell me that I wasn’t leaving, and that we had a mission.  But that was so far from what happened…

   “Go,” he said simply. 

   My eyes snapped to him. 

   “What?” I said, “You’re letting me go?”

   He nodded.  “If you want to go, then go.  I won’t stop you,” he said.

   I hurried and put the rest of the stuff into my bags and threw them over my shoulder.  He watched me as I walked to the door.  I turned around and said, “Cameron?”

   “Hannah?”

   “I’m sorry.”

   He didn’t say anything.  So I turned the handle on the door and stepped out into the hallway, ready to meet my freedom.

***

   I met Emily in front of the new hotel where I’d be staying.  She looked just like I’d left her.  Her brown hair was fading to blonde, and her blue eyes were bright.  She pulled me in for a hug.