Miracle 11

~ Miracle 11 ~

Emily

   “Emily?” he gasped.  I sat completely still, afraid to move at the sight of him.  It had been almost a month since I’d lost him.  It had been a month since I let him go.

   “What are you doing here?” he said, almost demanding answers. “You do realize you’re in Italy?”

   “I’m not stupid!” I snapped. “I came after you, dumbass.”

   I turned my head as I heard him whisper, “What…?”

   I refused to look at him.  He would never listen to me, even though he was now in the same situation that I was.  He didn’t make his way over to me, something that he would’ve done so long ago, and he didn’t blink.

   “Tell me,” he said quietly.  I shook my head, but then he raised his voice, screaming, “Tell me, damn it!  What else do you have to do down here besides suffer?”

   “Cameron and Hannah came to kill you,” I hissed between my teeth. “Ronnie and I rushed after them to make sure that they didn’t hurt you.  We were going to get to you first, but then Cameron took me instead.”

   Dylan laughed.  “Why in the hell would you two want to keep me safe?” he scoffed. 

   “Because,” I cried, tears brimming in my eyes. “No one deserves that!  No one!  We didn’t come by the kindness of our hearts, if that’s what you think.”

   But that wasn’t the truth.  I wiped the tears from my eyes and pushed all feelings aside.  Dylan shook his head.  “You just didn’t want your precious friend to end up in prison again,” he said. “I get it.”

   “No,” I said. “Hannah betrayed me.  In more ways than one.  I can’t go back to that.  I just…”

   Dylan stood up and walked around the room, pacing the floor. 

   “So you’re telling me that you guys just came for no reason then?” he asked. 

   I shook my head and opened my mouth to say something, but he cut me off.  “That’s typical of you, Emily.  You know, you really aren’t sure of anything that you want are you?  How long until you leave Ronnie like that?  How long until you find someone else, even though he’s stuck with you through everything?”

   I had tears streaming down my face.  That’s when everything I’d had inside broke loose.

   “Shut the hell up, Dylan!  Ronnie’s dead, okay?  I lost him because I wasn’t strong enough to break out of this prison and get to him!  It was all my fault, and I will never, ever, be able to forgive myself for leaving him behind like that!”