Miracle 21

~ Miracle 21 ~

   Ronnie and I were back in New York the next day, only to find that on top of everything, I’d been kicked out of Julliard. 

   Ronnie was standing in the doorway as I packed up all of my stuff and said, “You’re taking this awfully well.”

   I looked over to Noah lying on the bed and shook my head. 

   “I knew what I was doing when I went after her.  I don’t believe for a second that it wasn’t worth it.”

   After I had everything packed, I said one last goodbye to my dorm and got into the car.  We would be back home in less than a day.

   I was going back for good this time.

***

   Mom greeted me at the doorway with Genesis in her arms.  As soon as she saw the baby carrier in my arms, she demanded to know how and why. 

   “He’s not mine,” I said.  When I let mom see the embroidery on the blanket, her expression fell flat.  She shook her head. 

   “She’s –”

   I cut her off.

   “Yeah,” I said. “She’s not coming back.”

   That night, while I was playing with Genesis out on the front step, mom came out to sit by me. 

   “Is everything okay?” she asked.  I nodded. 

   “I told Ronnie that I knew what I was doing when I chased after her.  I knew I’d get kicked out of college.  But the thing is that I’m not upset about it.”

   Mom’s eyes shot to me as she said, “Really?”

   I nodded.  “I don’t think playing the piano forever is really my dream anymore.  I just kind of want to live for today instead of plan for tomorrow.  I want to live before it’s too late.”

   Mom looked to Noah sleeping in the carrier. 

   “She juggled it well.  She didn’t deserve a minute of it, though.” 

   I shook my head. 

   Looking out at the stars, I knew she was somewhere.  I knew she was okay there.  I knew we’d be okay here.

   I’d be okay.