Miracle 3

~ Miracle 3 ~

Emily

   “Emily.”

   My eyes fluttered open to the sound of Ronnie’s voice. 

   “Emily,” he said gently. “Emily, wake up.  We’re here.”

   I looked up at him and saw his bright smile.  He reached over and brushed a piece of hair behind my ear.  “Hey beautiful,” he whispered. 

   “Hey,” I said, reaching my arms over my head.  Everyone was lining up to get off of the plane, so Ronnie and I reached into the overhead to get our carry-ons.  I finally asked what I’d been wondering for the entire flight. 

   “So where are we going to stay?  It’s not like this was a planned vacation or anything,” I said.  Ronnie chuckled and shook his head. 

   “Don’t worry about it,” he told me. “We’ll get set up when we get into the airport.  I’ll make sure that you’re comfortable here.”

   I gazed at him at the sound of those words.  He looked down at me and said, “What?”

   I shook my head.  “Nothing,” I said quietly. “I’m just… lucky.”

   The airport was a lot larger than I’d expected it to be, and it was flooded with people coming and going.  Ronnie got our bags from the baggage area while I took a seat in the waiting area.  When he returned, he had his phone in his hands, turning the screen to me. 

   “It’s called the Palazzo Victoria,” he said.  I took the phone from his hand and scrolled through the pictures, my eyes wide in awe.  “But it’s so expensive!” I said. 

   “Don’t be ridiculous,” he said. “It’s not like we’ll be here for months.”

   I nodded slowly and said slowly, “Is that for me?”

   “All for you.”

   I smiled as he turned away to call the hotel and book a room.  He booked the hotel for one week, on estimate.  Right after, he called a taxi.  We carried the bags out to the taxi and loaded them into the trunk. 

   The driver mumbled something in Italian, and I shrugged to Ronnie.  He leaned forward and replied to the driver, also in Italian.  I looked to him.  “You speak Italian?” I asked. 

   Ronnie sat back and said, “I used to be a con artist.  You learn things over time.”

   I didn’t have much more to say.