Miracle 13

~ Miracle 13 ~

Emily

   When I opened the door to my hotel room, I didn’t know what I was expecting.  All of his stuff was still there, untouched from the day that I had gotten kidnapped by Cameron.  They had been in to clean but had left everything of ours completely untouched. 

   His textbook for school was still lying across the desk, and his laptop was still in the case.  All of his stuff was in perfect order in the bathroom.  His pajama shirt still hung over the headboard as if he had just changed out of it…

   I pursed my lips together as I snapped out of it and hurried to change my clothes.  I cleaned up in the bathroom, and lied across the bed for a few minutes. 

   After I stood up, I walked over to the door of the balcony and stepped out into the fresh Italian air.  I looked toward the setting sun in the distance and whispered, “I’ll never forget you, Ronnie.”

   I blew a kiss to the heavens and turned to walk inside.  As I grabbed my purse to walk out the door, I realized one thing.

   I’d be sleeping alone tonight.

***

   At the front desk a few hours later, I ordered another hotel room on the same floor as me.  Dylan was now with me, and I offered to go with him to campus so he wouldn’t be alone, but he declined. 

   Everything was ready for Hannah to get here. 

   When Dylan walked through the door to the lobby and sat down beside of me, he said, “How’d you fare?”

   I shook my head. 

   “It’s not the same,” I whispered. 

   “I’m sorry,” he said. “I know how you feel.”

   But then I stopped and looked up at him.  “Don’t you find it odd?” I asked. “Cameron just let us go.”

   Dylan nodded.  “Yeah, that was a little strange.”

   “He wouldn’t just do something like that.  I’m afraid he may be up to something,” I said.

   “Is that why you want to get Hannah?” he asked. “Before it’s too late?”

   I nodded.  “Yeah,” I told him. “I know she may have wronged me in the past, but that doesn’t mean that I can just leave her here to have the same fate as them.”

   Dylan was silent for a moment.

   “You’ve always been a good friend, Emily,” he said.  I smiled slightly.

   I wondered if what he said was really true.  If I really was a good friend, why didn’t I have the power to save Kelcie for him?  If I really was that good of as friend, why couldn’t I save Holly before it was too late?

   If I’m such a good friend, why can’t I bring Ronnie back now?