Page 19

"It's fine. Come here," I said. She sat next to me and I helped her for a bit. I got my homework done and Dream felt it was safe to approach me now.

"You need a hug," he said and gave me one.

"Why are you being so nice?" I smiled.

"Because I don't like seeing you stressed out. And I'm scared that if I bug you, you'll murder me." I laughed and he sat with me. "On the way home, Drista was telling me how much she wishes you were her sister. I think she's trying to drop hints."

"That's cute."

"I also think she's forgetting the fact that you're just 18."

"I honestly never had a problem with that. My biological mom got married when she was 18 and had me when she was 19."

"Drista wants you to come pick her up from school tomorrow. You free?"

"Yeah. Of course."

I made sure to finish all my homework early the next day and I went with Dream to pick up Drista.

"She's getting bullied again," he sighed when we pulled up. He got out of the car and I did as well.

"Clay, go away," Drista said.

"Aww. Big brother has to save you?" A girl asked. I walked in front of Drista and the girls stared at me.

"Oh, my God! You're-You're-" They started.

"Yeah. I'm me. Now I didn't think I had to come to a high school and lecture a bunch of 14 and 15 year olds on bullying. Bullying ended in 5th grade. Grow up. Act your age. I suggest you keep to yourself and keep your hands off of her before things go to a drastic measure," I stated and 2 girls started crying.

"You can't hit me," the third girl said.

"You're right. I can't. But she can." I grabbed Drista's wrist and made her slap the other girl across the face. She started crying and ran away. Drista got in the car and everyone was quiet as Dream drove. He suddenly broke out laughing and I smiled a little.

"Thanks," Drista told me.

"Mh-Hm."

"You made her slap a child!" Dream laughed.

"This is why I wish she was my sister," Drista said. We got back to the house and Drista told her mom everything. I went up and then there was yelling downstairs.

"Drista literally keeps trying to get me to propose to Miranda!" Dream yelled.

"Drista, that's inappropriate. She's just 18," their mom said.

"I just made a comment that I wish she was my sister," Drista said.

"You said the same thing about Sam! Now neither of us talk to her because she's my ex!" Dream yelled.

"I'm sorry, okay," I heard Drista start crying. She stormed up the stairs and slammed the door shut to her room. I went down and walked past Dream, giving him a glare.

"You're on her side?" He yelled.

"I didn't say anything about sides," I said.

"You're giving me a look! What, you want me to just ask you to marry me?"

"I never said that!"

"You're gonna end up like my ex!"

"What is that supposed to mean, Clay?" I asked and crossed my arms.

"She's gonna get her hopes up that you'll be her sister in law some day and then we're gonna break up and she'll just be ruined! You'll just be another ex of mine, Miranda!"

"Thanks, Clay. Might as well make it now," I said, tears in my eyes. "She's a kid, Clay! Let her hope for whatever she wants. She'll figure it out some day," I stormed upstairs and went into our room locking the door.

"Mira, that's not what I meant!" Dream said.

"You owe them both an apology," his mom said. "Yell at me and you're on a flight back to California." I heard Drista still sobbing in her room. I let out tears. Why was he already thinking of me being his ex?

Dream slept on the downstairs couch that night and I was alone. I got a lot of my work done and morning came. There was a knock on my door and I opened it, letting Drista in.

"Why are you awake so early?" I asked.

"I want you to drop me at school today. And pick me up," she said.

"Yeah. Of course."

"I'm not trying to pressure you two to..."

"I know. He's just taking it a different way."

"Can you do my makeup?" Drista asked.

"Sure," I smiled and took her to the bathroom. I did a natural look of makeup and she was happy.

"Thanks, Miranda. Do your friends call you Randi?"

"A few did. But... I left them all in high school."

"Can I call you Randi?"

"Yeah," I said and she hugged me. We went down and to the kitchen.

"Miranda, I'm so sorry about Clay's-" His mom started.

"I'll get over it," I said. "Drista's more upset. I'll drop her and pick her up today."

"You can take my car." I nodded and she gave me the keys. Drista ate breakfast and we were leaving just as Dream woke up.

"Mira," he said.

"Save it," I stated and dropped Drista off at school. The other girls immediately looked away from her and she gave me a smile. I got back to the house and started my homework when Dream walked in.

"Mira, I'm sorry," he said. "I really fucked up, okay? I never should have said any of that. I love you and I don't wanna break up with you. I don't want you to be my ex. I just want you to be my girlfriend."

"Yeah, sure. Okay. Fine. I forgive you. Now when I go pick up Drista, I expect you to sit down with her, have a talk with her, and apologize."

"Talk about what?" Dream sat on the bed.

"Talk to her about how you feel when she keeps saying she wants me as her sister. Tell her how it might be too early for that. Explain stuff to her."

"I want you to sit with me through that." I nodded and he hugged me. "I'm sorry."

"It's okay."

I picked up Drista after school and she looked really happy. She told me about her whole day and that me making her slap the other girl helped her a lot. We got home and I stopped her before she got out.