The Girl

We were now in the medjack hut. The girl lay unconscious on the small bed. Her body rose and fell in a steady pattern, indicating that she was indeed still alive.

"What's wrong with her Jeff?" Newt broke the silence as he studied the raven-haired girl.

"Hey I got my job the same way you did." Jeff shot back, raising his arms up in defense.

"Do you recognize her Thomas?" Newt stood with his arms crossed. I stood right next to him doing the same with my arms. Minho held onto his vest to Thomas' right, also staring at the misterio us girl on the bed.

"No," Thomas shook his head. I looked over at him for a minute and watched at the way Thomas looked at the girl. Confusion lurked inside him and I knew he was telling the truth. After all, Thomas would tell us if knowing her would help us escape. I trusted him.

"Really? Cause she seemed to recognize you." Newt snapped back, clearly a little agitated at the new role as leader. I keep a straight face, not bothering to speak up.

"What about the note?" Thomas tried to change the subject, taking the attention away from himself.

"We'll worry about that later," Newt says.

"I think we should worry about it now," Thomas answers.

"He's right Newt," Jeff cuts in, "how long do you think we'll survive if the box doesn't go back down?"

"No one said that was going to happen. Let's not jump to any conclusions. We'll just see if she wakes up and let her tell us what she knows." Newt gestures towards the girl.

I storm out. Everything's gone wrong lately. It's too much pressure. All the duties, and decisions. How do Newt and Alby do this?

"What did I do?" I hear Newt ask Thomas and Minho from behind me.

I keep walking back to the fields. Thomas also rushes past me followed by Minho. Not long after, Newt stops me.

"Love what's wrong?" He put his hands on my shoulders. A curios look covering his handsome face.

"Nothing," I try not to smirk, just to give him a hard time, but I fail causing Newt to drop his serious stare.

"Now you're just teasing me," Newt grins at me.

"I'm fine," I assure, trying to shove him off of me to avoid wasting his time. "You get back to what you do best."

"Hey," Newt raised an eyebrow. "Last time I checked I gave the orders here."

"Yeah I know," I tuck my hand into my back pocket. "I'll be in the gardens Newt. Tell me if the girl wakes up, please?"

"Good that." Newt's brown eyes dig into mine. "I promise I'll meet up with you later. I'm just so bloody busy right now. You understand that right love?"

I nod, biting my bottom lip.

"Don't think I don't have time for you anymore, got that?" The blonde raises an eyebrow at me, holding onto my left arm.

"Yes Newt." I give him a loving smile.

"I'll see you later love," he pecks my cheek and wanders off back to the homestead.

******

After Newt talked to me, I saw Minho, Thomas, and a few other gladers run into the maze. Chuck watches them from the doors, not daring to step a foot I front of the line that separates safety from nightmare. The young boy just stands there, alone. I decide to see what he's up to.

"Hey Chuck, what're you doing?" I touch the curly haired boys shoulder to grab his attention.

"Nothing YN," Chucks voice breaks a little as he looks up at me.