8

Oblivion
____________

Caligo (n.) darkness, fog, mist, vapor, gloom...

••••••
River A. Rose

Holy fucking hell. I'm crazy — that's for sure now, I panicked I just...panicked. I saw the little stunt my dad and brothers pulled. To an outsider it looked like the Morettis were about to kill Harold but to someone like me?

I know they set everything up to make it look like it. They are damn good but I freaked out a little, they are like me. Broken beyond repair and...killers.

So I did something stupid. I got into the car after Nolan signed me up and I'm determined to win this race so Noah doesn't. Just so you learn father dearest to not yell at me again.

I don't feel anything anymore. My family — they don't love me, they don't want me so why will I want myself? But then why did they look so scared for me when I got into my Corvette? Why did I see love and despair show in their eyes? Why did I vaguely hear Nikolai yelling for them to stop the race?

I shake those thoughts out of my head and press my foot on the gas. There's no way Noah is passing me now, I just need to...

Holy hell what was that!

I look to my right and none other than fucking Milos is racing beside me. He wasn't on the list, he isn't supposed to be here! Shit. He's not here for the race he's here to kill me.

My suspicions are well met when he bumps into my side, I lose control and sway to the side, nearly getting off track and into the dirt roads, those are slippery as shit and I wouldn't be able to get outta there. I manage to gain control but Milos is still close to my side.

I look on my rear view mirror, something's wrong with Noah, his kind of car should outrun mine in seconds and yet he seems to be stuck in that speed. He's even slowing down. I see him hit the wheel in frustration.

I have a feeling Milos has something to do with that. Speaking of — I feel something dawn on me, a feeling of dread and helplessness. Something's wrong, really really wrong. My vision blurs and I shake my head to get rid of it.

I look over at Milos and he has a sinister smile on his face...just like Xander did. I need to get out of here or I'll die. That's for certain.

I press on the gas at full speed even though a big turn is coming. It's a big risk but I need to take it, Noah seems to notice what I'm about to do and he starts desperately honking. Milos is a little behind me now.

I shake my head again, I feel so damn dizzy. I know what it is. I know exactly what drug someone slipped on me, I've been drugged with it before and I know I have about 3 more minutes before I will no longer hold control over my own body.

"It hurts can we please stop now? Please Xander" I whispered to him but he just smiled at my plea.

"Baby it's okay it's only the first time. Every woman goes through it, just enjoy it" he answered.

I shake the memories away and focus on the road again.

Here comes the turn. I'm not ready to die, my baby needs me and I can't die. Thoughts of Oakley consume me as I make the harsh turn, the car almost flipping over. I just have to survive one more minute and I'll get to the finish line.