06 | 𝑀𝑦 𝐶ℎ𝑒𝑒𝑠𝑒

My tightly curled fist pounded onto the surface of the door eagerly, rapping atop the wood with impatience.

My shoes scuffed against the porch absently while I glanced over my shoulder at the drizzling rain cascading from the awning that I stood under and to the pavement. A lone car surpassed with lambent headlights shining over the flurries of rainfall.

The brown and ivory house was coated in rainwater as it slowly and progressively grew a bit heavier as time passed. The rhythmic tapping of water against the concrete echoed through the block and became a repetitive thrumming tempo inside my head.

I raised my fist again, but before it collided, the door swung inwards and I stared straight ahead at the empty space, slowly tilting my head to lower down to a tiny child.

She wore blonde pigtails with green ribbons on each and a green dress, yellow flaps decorated atop. She even had those plastic heels that said 'Tiana'. Looking to be around six or seven.

"Hi," she greeted softly.

"Hey?" I surveyed inside the house that I recognized. The living room had gray components with a mixture of darker gray on top. "Is Victor here?"

"Vic!" she called into the house. "A pretty girl is here to see you!"

I grinned, children were cute... until they weren't, but this child was sweet. She started walking away from the door, her heels clapping along the laminate flooring as a vibration of steps neared. 

"Didn't I say no opening doors?" he offered, ceasing his laughter when he came to a halting stop outside of the threshold.

I muttered sheepishly at his displeasure, "hi, again."

Victor looked back over his shoulder and ordered, "how about you go play with your dolls until your dad comes home?" After moments of the pelting rain being the only noise as she scurried away, Victor questioned, "here to return my clothes?"

"Shit!" I cursed out, slapping a hand over my mouth, even though she wasn't in the room, I still felt bad. "I left that in my locker when I ran away."

"You ran away?" he drew out. "Then, why are you here if not to return my clothes?" he asked, squinting his eyes on me.

I felt his piercing eyes judge me. He looked hot, but that was just a fact, I wasn't really checking him out like I was Saturday morning, I had someone to be preoccupied on, but I knew what Kayla could see in him. He was tall, lean, fit, and had one good-looking smirk that could easily become his weapon.

I didn't want to come off like a bitch, but I deadpanned, "you're an asshole."

He cocked his head to the side. "I guess this isn't you telling me you want to hook up? Shit, go on then?" he urged. I sighed with a faint chortle, but he only stepped further into the house as he informed, "on second thought, her dad will kill me if he realizes that I had the door open with the heat running, so step inside, will ya?" he ordered, less of a question and more of a statement. To be honest, I didn't think it was curtesy either, more of a demand than anything.

I wandered into his home, slipping off the straps of my backpack and placing it by the door as I followed him into the kitchen. The cabinets were a smoke-gray and everything was somewhat of a dull undertone. It was all so bland and grey, and depressing, but I didn't say anything.

I noticed the only color in the room was a gold frame, and inside was a picture of a man, a woman, the younger girl I saw, and Victor. They were at the beach and all looked so happy. Victor looked at least fourteen, but happy.

"Are those your parents?" I asked, then shook my head. "Shit, sorry, that was impulsive. I'm here for a reason," I rambled quickly, trying to smooth over such an intrusive question. I was curious since there were no other pictures in the house, or colors, but Victor's back faced me as he stood before the marble counters.