64. Celebration Feast

We go out from the hospital room to the streets. Trumpets blaze through the air, shouts of happiness and loud music blasting the crowds. Confettis are everywhere, littering the roads. Hordes of vampires enroach on Darryl, wishing a handshake or an autograph. The warm feast overpowers the chilling air.

"Wow, he's pretty popular here," Aelita comments.

"He's the same as us," I say. "He defends what he cherishes."

A little girl grips my thigh coated in armor. While smiling, she hands me a daisy flower.

"Thank you," I say, returning her smile.

Valerie returns. She descends from the sky as a bat, turning into a humanoid form once she lands. Bowing her head, she whispers into Darryl's ears in a foreign language-maybe the ancient vampiric language. Aelita, John, and I, who only know the Continental Standard, can't understand a word of it, except "Francia".

Darryl gazes into my eye. "Sorry, everyone, we have some urgent business to do!"

He transforms into a bat. We follow suit with our steeds to his ice castle. We gallop to the meeting room: a round table and wooden chairs.

"How's the current situation?" Darryl asks his aide.

"At least half a million troops are amassing near the Al-Azhar-Francia border. Lady Jessica, Lord Luke, and Lady Clarisse are spotted near the border," Valerie answers.

"How's Francia responding?"

"They haven't done anything," Valerie replies, prompting a muffled curse from Darryl.

"What's happening?" I ask.

"The Empire is blaming Lord Abel's death on Francia," Darryl says, wiping off his sweat. "Darn it. As long as Irvine and Erwing are at war, Francia cannot stand alone."

"Why the hurry?" Aelita asks. "Nobody declares war and then mobilizes."

"Because they are running out of time," Darryl asserts.

"Excuse me, time?"

Darryl looks at the three of us. He puffs. "You don't know their purpose, do you?"

"Their purpose of invading? It's obvious," Aelita says. "It's uhhh, resources?"

"No. Their aim is to scourge our world of all major powers and repopulate it with their own people," Darryl says. "They need land."

They want to what?!

"Not only that, but they need the Gems to power up their dimension-tearing machine. Five have fallen to their hands and they are dead-set that the last one is held by one of Irvine's top mages," Darryl explains.

"Repopulating our world ... that must mean their own world is running out of resources or is overpopulating," Aelita says.

"Perhaps. We don't know."

"So all we can do is to keep them off the Yellow Gem," I say. Darryl nods.

"And cut off their economic lifelines. They can only go in and out of our world with tiny cracks, so resources and manpower are thin for them here. Slave trade in this world makes up for a third of their funding. I don't know who is making this new Madu, but if we can catch them, we'll starve the Empire of its resources."

"Yeah, well, the 'catching them' part is way more difficult than you say it is," I grumble.

"Of course it is," Darryl says. "Such a brilliant potion maker is an enviable asset. They won't let her go. Slave trade and drug trade are two of their main concerns, remember?"

"Well, aside from that, they seem quite eager to get their hands on Merango. They just don't know yet who the host is," Darryl says. "Honestly, I knew they were searching for Merango, I just wonder who he is until now."

"If so, Vio must hide!" John and Aelita exclaim together.

"No!" Darryl and I reply. That's admitting to the Empire I'm the host!

"Then they will know Vio is the host!" Darryl cries. Silent befalls us.

Almost instantly, Darryl whips out a map and a marker. "The Empire has two main bases. The foremost is in Al-Azhar, somewhere around here." He circles a wide sweep across north Al-Azhar.

"The second one is way weaker. It's here, north of Erwing," Darryl murmurs as he circles the La-Malionette Ocean. "Nearby Ad Astra's HQ, actually."

"And this is one is for slave trade?"

"Yes. I have a spy here, so Lady Sakurako lived here-no idea where she is now, Lady Caitlyn was here before I killed her, and Lord Eugene should be alive and well. I suspect this is where the Dollmaster resides, but my spy can't confirm it."

"The Dollmaster?" I ask. I recall one such name being thrown around by Madam Fron.

"Yeah, not that we know who they are."

"So what do you want us to do with it?" Aelita asks.

"I suggest you destroy it."

Aelita gasps. "That's crazy! Why-why don't you do it yourself?"

"Well, I would if only Roenzia's fleet weren't around," Darryl says. "Sorry, but I really can't spare anyone."

I sigh. "Do you think we can uncover Madu's secrets there?"

"I can't guarantee it; my spy hasn't brought back information about that. But I believe so. This stronghold is the center of all slave trade."

All slave trade. This will be my best chance to find Angelita-be her a foe or a friend.

"I'll go," I say.

"What?" Aelita cries. "This is madness!"

"I have to find Angelita. It's time to close the circle," I mutter. "I'll go alone. You don't have to accompany me."

Aelita is silent for a while. "I'll go," John says. "We will go together, as it should be."

"No," I say. "I will go alone."

Aelita sighs. She rolls her eyes. "This is madness. You'll–you'll die! Or worse!"

I bite my lips. Death. "I know," I mutter. "That's why you two don't go. I will go alone; Angelita is my sister and I'll bring her back ... or kill her, depending on the situation."

"Vio!" Aelita practically shouts. "You'll throw away your life for the sliver of a chance of getting her back? She betrayed you and you grandma, goddamn it!"

"I know!" I scream back. "But she's my sister. My whole fucking life is dedicated for this since she left. This is my one opportunity!"

"Huft ... fine. Then we go together," Aelita says. "We'll help you."

I gaze into Aelita's eyes, and then John's. And then I realize I will need them. I will need Aelita's fiery spirit and John's icy calmness.

"Thanks."