84. Mirakarta Massacre II

This is bad. If we attack carelessly, Remi might be harmed.

"Lita, prepare to catch Remi," I say. "Blood Vortex!"

I release a torrent of blood, cutting off the snakes. Lita swiftly catches her and runs off to the school. "Oh, hello, Vio," Dita says, landing soundly on the ground.

"I should've predicted. Only you could lead an army this barbaric."

"To the victors goes the spoils," Dita says. "Soldiers need entertainment, too, you know. And what better entertainment than sex slaves and loots?"

"I'll tell you what: your severed head! Blood Salvo!"

Dita leaps forward, evading the exploding blood arrows. Snakes burst out from her mouth, coiling around me.

"You've got a nice body yourself, Vio," Dita mocks. "Ahahha, I can imagine it in my head now. I will strip you down, beat you up, let men violate you until your mind breaks and your body surrenders. Then you will be nothing, Vio. Nothing but an outlet for lust ...."

"In your dreams!" Lita shrieks. "Mana Blast!"

"Black Chupacabra!" I scream, releasing a giant hellish dog from my sleeves, sending Dita flying.

Lita and I rush outside the city to confront Dita, but we meet an Empire courier instead, escorted by two Argentum Sentinels. Dita has been knocked out.

"That courier is an Old Sentinel," Lita murmurs. I glance at Lita as she seemingly throws something to the air.

Drats. Three of them. Where are John and Aelita?

The courier walks forward. She bows to me and throws me a letter. "The Empire issues a formal letter of apology," she says, "the actions of the Penal Battalion are against our code of conduct."

And with that, they take their leave.

Do they think an apology will settle all this?

"Vio, we have to head back," Lita says. I nod weakly. We disperse once more.

The dying screams and calls for help spur me into action. I enter every house systematically, beheading each and every demon I encounter.

At last Lita and I converge once more on the centre of the city, surrounded by dead bodies. "So much destruction," Lita comments painfully, "and for what?"

"For nothing," I answer.

"Find John and Aelita and organize healing efforts. I'll contact the headquarters."

"Okay," I say, gulping my spit. The stench of blood begins to make me feel dizzy.

Everything is so disgusting.

I spot John and Aelita coming outside a house. John's comforting a crying Aelita, so I approach them.

"I can't take this anymore," Aelita sobs. "I'm retiring. I'm going home."

What? What happened to Aelita? Don't tell me she got ... nope, her armor doesn't look broken or taken. Just what happened here?

"T-there was a little girl," Aelita, "raped by three men. She-she died ...."

"Aelita!" I put my hands on her shoulder firmly. "I know it's traumatic, but you're an Imperial Guard. They're looking up to us. You have to stay strong."

Aelita is silent. "Please, Aelita. We need your healing abilities," I say, "if you lament over the little girl's death, the best way to redeem yourself is to help save the lives of the wounded here, isn't it?"