88. Six Days Campaign II

Fierce artillery fire tears the first wave of advancing tanks and their supporting infantry into shreds. Their own shells couldn't pierce through the natural defences of the hills.

Are they stupid? Even with a six-to-one numerical advantage, they won't be able to defeat us on time with this kind of limited frontal attacks.

Unless ....

Two massive pieces of machineries arrive on the battlefield: each is a giant humanoid machine, standing 250 metres tall and painted grey.

"What are those?" I gasp to Sir Leon.

"That is a Titan," he explains with a trembling voice, "an experimental weapon we abandoned due to its low mobility and high resource consumption. So this is where the two missing prototypes go."

Excellent. My first attempt at generalship and I'm facing two superweapons. Excellent luck, indeed.

"Order the heavy artillery to fire at the Titan to the left."

"And the other one?" Sir Leon asks.

"I will handle it myself. Blood Avatar!"

An equally humongous humanoid creature appears before me, clad in red armor and wielding a blood shield and a blade. I sit atop its crown.

The Titan fires rocketry at me. My Avatar raises its shield, fending off the barrage of rockets. "Blood Salvo!"

I fire waves of blood arrows, countered by a powerful barrier the Titan generates. What a tough nut to crack.

My Avatar and the Titan engage in a vicious melee, sword against sword, shield against shield; neither capable of overcoming the other. Concentrated artillery fire from nearby cannons begin to tear off layers of my Avatar.

I've got to take this one down, damn it! I'm an Imperial Guard!

Here, let me lend you a hand.

Merango!

With a newfound power, I unleash my spell. "Blood Shockwave!"

My shockwave hurls the two Titans to the sky, and their machineries fail as they fall to the ground. The enemy infantrymen halt as their superweapons falter.

With my remaining energy, I abandon my Avatar and hop back to the hills. "Launch a general counterattack!" I order to Sir Leon.

"Understood!"

I watch as my men descend from the hills, covered by hail of bullets from above. They rout the demoralized enemy, forcing them back.

As the enemy army retreats, Elaise's main force finally arrives. They pour into the enemy army, and, in a chaotic manner, a slaughter ensues.

Hey, Marengo.

Yes?

Why do you appear so randomly?

I've got that figured out. It relates to your emotions and my emotions.

So you came out because I was emotional?

Well, certain emotions. A little bit of pride, of anger ... ah, and a desire to protect. That gives me the energy to appear and to lend you power. Now, if you excuse me, I need to rest.

I see ...

Emotions, huh?

"How's the situation?" I ask Sir Leon.

"Excellent," Sir Leon says. "I think it's safe to say that we've won."

Hundreds of thousands dead lay scattered on the battlefield. Tens of thousands more are imprisoned in our dungeons as prisoners of war. I rest in my headquarters.

Nearby civilians, cheering for our victory, bring in gifts: parcels of fruits and harvests. One is delivered to my personal chamber by a maid.

A human woman? But why do I feel a strange tingling down my spine as if she were not a human?

I rise from my wooden seat and I walk slowly toward the maid. "Is something the matter, Miss Vonville?" the maid asks.

"Nothing," I say after staring at her for a second. "You may leave."

"Of course."

Boom!

The parcel exploded into a sea of smoke. I draw my blade hastily, yet I feel the cold blade of a dagger on my neck a second after. 

"Heah!" I swing my arm backwards, elbowing the maid. She disappears and reappears in front of me. She tears off her wig, revealing long, pink hair. 

Lady Sakurako! Drats, at a time I have run out of mana!

"You've become very powerful," she notes as she raises her arms, unleashing a strong aura. "We can't let you live." 

"Blood Shield!" I cry, holding back the stream of shapeless fire. Sweat falls from my forehead. My feet tremble. 

"Karkh!" She dashes forward with her lotus, driving her dagger deep into my chest. She reaches for another dagger in her pocket. 

Damn it! I have no mana left!

"Your journey ends here!" Lady Sakurako shouts as she aims her dagger stab at my neck.

"Runic Cape."

Suddenly, a veil of yellow energy coats me, repelling the attack. "Prince Pierre!" I gasp weakly. Prince Pierre enters the battlefield, his heavy warhammer on hand. 

"Damn it!" Lady Sakurako curses. "Why now?"

"North Flames: Eye of the Beholder!" Another familiar figure bursts from the windows, her eyes sprouting blue fire that quickly engulfs Lady Sakurako's thin armor. The latter hastily discards her armor. 

"I've got her with the North Flames. She should be slower now. Push on!" Madam Fron commands. "North Flames: Wave of Annihilation!"

"Wrathful Gale!" Prince Pierre extends his hand, launching bolts of yellow lightning. 

Caught between the wave of blue fire and the pack of thunderbolts, Lady Sakurako clenches her fist. "Lotus Storm!" she cries. Hundreds of lotus petals appear from thin air, enveloping their caster. The spells that make contact with the petals vanish, as if space itself has been distorted.

Holy hell! What is that?

"Her spatial magic is this good, huh?" Prince Pierre says. Lady Sakurako, outnumbered and outclassed, flees with her petals. 

"You got her, Fronica?"

"Of course." Madam Fron shows us a small ruby. Lady Sakurako has been bugged. "Vio, are you fine?"

"Outside from this dagger, yes," I say. "Of course not, duh."

Healers are brought into my chamber. Gradually, my wounds close. I also drink a mana potion.

"The transmission's here," Madam Fron says as the ruby begins to glow. "Let's listen to it."