60. Reversal

"Who tells you to do what?" Mr Anwar asks.

After stealing a boat (that has no fucking engine) and dumping Magnolia on her house, we travel back west with nothing but the communication paper Madam Fron gave me, which I always keep in my bag, a communication orb, a map the vampire handed to us with the Stars' territory marked, and food rations.

"It could've been a trap!" Agatha declares. "Maybe the Stars' neutrality is a bluff!"

"It might be," Mr Anwar says.

"Seems awfully complicated to kill us," I reply. "They could have sent one demon Lord and both of us would've been dead."

"Right. They're flourishing in number recently. The glass magic user who attacked you recently was Lady Clarisse, Chief of Staff of the Empire's army–fourth strongest after Lady Jessica, Lord Luke, and Lord Abel. They certainly have enough manpower to spare."

"They can just ... summon more demon Lords out of nowhere?" John asks.

"Depends on the cracks. The more effort is poured into breaking the barrier, the wider the cracks are, allowing stronger demons to barge in."

"I'll recall Aelita and John and partner them with you, Vio. Agatha, I'll have you rejoin Remi and Joe."

"Okay. Where should we go?"

"Ad Astra's main headquarters. I shall meet you there."

Thank fuck Agatha's here. Her wind magic allows us to travel quickly, lest we'll probably die of starvation. That, or the cold storms that ravage these waters.

"Didn't expect you here this fast," Nisa greets us.

"Situation demands," I say. "Thanks for having us."

"Welcome as always. Follow me."

Ad Astra's leader, Jonathan, is drinking wine as usual. Mr Agusman sits besides him. John and Aelita smile when we enter.

"Vio. Agatha. Please sit. We have urgent news," Mr Anwar urges.

With the tone, we sit down immediately. "What happened?"

"Lady Caitlyn ... is dead."

"WHAT?!"

"Shocking. Who could kill her without any of us knowing?" Jonathan murmurs as he pours another bottle of red wine into a glass.

"A Lord's death is always welcome, but she was killed near the northern pole, where the only strong faction is ... the Stars," Mr Anwar says.

"Well, all makes sense," I reply. "She can't face off an entire faction by herself."

"She has two elite bodyguards by her side," Mr Anwar says. "And she may be sadistic, but she isn't foolish and neither is the Empire. If they want to destroy the Stars, they would've sent a proper fleet or at least the more powerful Lords in a pack."

"Why would they destroy the Stars on the first place?" I ask. "They're neutral and if the Empire wants to keep its good guys image, a frontal assault is the stupidest idea possible, period."

At that time, a young woman enters the room with a parchment. "New intel, Miss Nisa."

"What does it say?" Jonathan asks impatiently.

"The Empire suspects the Puppeteer as the killer," Nisa reads. "Swift action is to be taken against him."

"The Puppeteer?" Jonathan murmurs. "I know he exists, but no idea what he actually does."

"He uses puppet magic ... I guess?" Aelita says. Jonathan shrugs off.

"The Puppeteer has never made himself known. To think that this person can kill off a Lord just like that, he must be extraordinary," Nisa comments. "But who is he?"