47. Attack on Plywood

"Aelita!" I greet Aelita when meeting her in the air.

"Vio!" she greets me back, "what is happening?"

"Don't know. A teacher called me, saying Plywood's under attack."

"Yeah, same for me."

We reach the outskirts of the school, where a barrier has been activated. Thousands of giant snakes as well as a few truly gigantic ones, perhaps over two hundred metres long, swarm the barrier, the sheer volume trampling over the luxurious districts around Plywood.

"Ah, Ms Vonville, Ms Greenbell," the principal greets us. Around him, security guards are transferring mana into the barrier, their hands glowing blue.

"We understand the problem now, Principal Valeron. How much time do we have until the barrier collapses?" I ask.

"Roughly five minutes, Ms Vonville," one of the security mages reply.

"Aelita, I need more time to raise an army to match these serpents," I say.

"I'll provide it," Aelita replies while nodding. "Nature Summon: Ent!"

Aelita hops out of the barrier, creating a gigantic ent.

"Wood Splinter Rain!" Aelita calls. Large wooden logs with pointy edges hail down from the sky, stabbing the snakes. Aelita's ent raise its gigantic arms, clobbering the smaller serpents and sending the larger ones to the sky.

Slowly, undead hounds powered by my mana emerge from the underground, their numbers in the dozens and eventually hundreds.

Then the barrier finally collapses and the serpents barge in. I wave my hand and the hounds rush toward the slithering snakes.

"Amazing," the principal mumbles.

"Blood Flood!" A sea of blood washes over the snakes, crushing the smaller ones with sheer volume.

"Blood Bone Serpent!" I unleash my creature, downing three of the super sized snakes.

"Where are these things coming from?" I shout, "where on earth is the military?"

"Why are you asking me? How on earth would I know?" Aelita replies.

Wait. Snake-based spells are quite rare ... could it be Dita Luxor? Yeah, it must be her. Nobody else has such command over serpents.

"We know who could possibly cause this," I reiterate as I cast spell after spell, fending off the advancing serpents.

"I know," Aelita says. "If only there's one more Guard here, we can pursue her."

And then the school alarm goes off, its frequency tearing apart my ears. I blink, activating my aura detection ability.

"There are five, no, six strange auras inside the building," I say.

"Go check it out," Aelita says, her spear stabbing at a lunging snake, "I'll handle the situation here."

I reach for my pocket and throw Aelita a communicator. She hastily catches it.

"Be careful."

"Likewise."

As soon as I enter the school gates, I am greeted by small explosive mana bullets raining from above. "Blood Shield!"

"Dance of Bones!" One of the bones pierces the mask of the invader and penetrates their left eye.

I leap to the balcony where the invader attacked and remove the mask. His skin is pale and his ears curled.