31. Infiltration Plan II

Our speedboat allows us to travel quickly to the fishing village in just six days.

The chill of the winds breaks through our bones, forcing us to wear multiple sweaters. Although so, it seems like the cold breeze has no effect on the cheerful fishermen of this village.

"We need to find an inn," I mutter, my numb mouth struggling to speak.

John and Aelita nod while shivering, the frosty weather slipping into their bodies. After a long walk, we spot a nice inn.

The innkeeper is a dwarf; not surprising considering the distance to northern Francia, which houses many dwarven enclaves.

Dwarves are naturally short and burly. They don't sleep often; unlike humans who sleep at night and (pure) elves who sleep at day.

"Do you have a room for three?" I ask the receptionist.

"We do, young lady! The price is four hundred credits a night."

As I grab my wallet, the receptionist says, "You aren't a local, are you?"

"We're travellers," I decisively answer while putting money on the table.

The receptionist grins happily. "Enjoy your stay!" He smiles, handing an iron key.

But it's not time for us to chill in the hotel. We must find the HQ, fast.

"What can we do? We can't simply ask, 'Hey, is there some kind of weird building that might house demons around here?'" I consult Aelita and John as we walk through the largest market in the area.

"Hello! Hello! Come and take a look at this giant salmon!" a fish vendor shouts at us.

Aelita walks quickly to the vendor's shop. John and I follow her closely.

The vendor is fairly clean. There are heaps of fish in barrels and cooked foodstuffs.

The salmon is huge. I reckon it's big enough to swallow three people at once.

But it simply looks unnatural. There is no way a regular salmon can be this large. "Where do people fish for this?" I ask.

The vendor smiles. "We don't fish for this, young lady! It's powerful and its bites crush what spells we fishermen can cast. Even battle mages have been killed by it!" he says, "this fish was found ashore."

Alright, wait. Battle mages are mages specialised in combat–they are at least Class II mages. Not to mention this giant salmon has never been found anywhere.

Might it be ....

"I see. But where is it usually found?" I ask.

"To the north, young lady. Look at that small mountain. They roam behind it. We dare not venture there."

A grin forms on my lips. "Three orders of fishcake, please," I ask the fish vendor.

With bags of warm fishcake on our hands, we leave and bid farewell to the vendor. "I have no doubt," I say to John and Aelita, "we must go there."

"Yeshh, I agrrish!" Aelita says while chomping down on her fishcake.

"Aelita, use your magic to control a giant salmon," I mutter as we reach the northern border of the village.

"What!?" John and Aelita hiss simultaneously.

"We'll hide inside your fish. That way, we won't look suspicious," I explain.

Thus the ridiculously ridiculous plan is executed. John and I have imbued the fish's eyes with our mana, so we can monitor the outside environment.

The ecosystem is bizarre at best. Giant salmon schools dominate the waters and smaller creatures are almost wiped out. This situation must be manipulated; there is no way there are so many predators with so few preys.

"Stop!" I order to Aelita, "There are two people there!"

It seems like they are pushing the water away from them with wind spells, allowing them to breath in water.

The man and woman from earlier.

"They must be delivering the wine," I mutter, "follow them!"

We trail the pair, with the skilful Aelita navigating our fish carefully.

The pair ultimately arrive at an underwater mansion. Upon their arrival, the barrier surrounding the mansion opens a hole on itself, allowing them to enter. Water that attempts to pour in is dispelled by the barrier.

"Now this complicates shit," I hiss, clenching my fist; foolish me, of course there is a barrier.

I can only see one solution. "Aelita, take control of the other salmons and attack the barrier as a distraction, but don't go too hard on them or the Lords will attack."

"John, you and I will infiltrate the mansion with another salmon," I say.

John and Aelita nod briefly. John and I move to another fish that Aelita calls.

Thus begins the attack. Salmon schools slam themselves at the barrier, only to be disintegrated en masse.

At that moment, a hole opens on the barrier.

John and I charge in inside our fish. The security forces begin firing with laser weapons and light artillery.

Our fish is struck and John and I escape. Now we are stepping on dry land. We slip past the busy guards. The weather is exceedingly warm inside the waterproof barrier.

We manouvre through the few remaining guards, entering the mansion itself. We are suppressing our mana to the max.

The mansion, adorned with luxurious carpets and golden ornaments, is mostly empty. There are only a few servants cleaning the rooms and corridors.

"Stop!" I hiss as soon as I sense two malicious auras.

Darn it. Who is it now?

A man and a woman are carrying two bottle of wine. "Let's follow them," I mutter. I'm sure they will bring the wine to the Lords. I don't want to risk blowing up cover to use my ability to search for the Lords.

As we walk silently through the corridors, a masked woman appears from behind, forcing us to hide behind a wardrobe.

And I see it.

The woman's bright red hair. The same hair Angelita and I inherited from our mother. "Excuse me," she says to the pair walking in front of her.

That voice. Somewhat harsher, somewhat sadder, somewhat less soft, but ....

I can vividly remember Angelita's voice.

Instinctively, I almost shout. Fortunately, John quickly smothers my mouth with his hand.

"She's Angelita!" I hiss quietly.

"Look, you and your sister aren't the only ones with red hair, and I've personally known several women with that voice. She's not your sister!"

I calm down, taking a few short breaths. "Yeah, you're right." I nod at John, who smiles thinly.

Midway, the woman from the pair descends some stairs. John follows her, while I continue pursuing the man.

The man walks hurriedly until he reaches a door decorated with silver ornaments.

"Excuse me, Lords," the man whispers as he opens the door.

"Put it there," Lady Sakurako replies with an annoyed voice.

"As you wish, Lady Sakurako." The man bows before leaving.

The door is closed, but there is a small opening, through which I peek.

"Well, well." Lady Jessica appears in a spirit form. She wears a ridiculous suit as usual-this time it's a purple shirt with a pair of bright red jeans.

"Seems like you have failed, Lady Sakurako."