Red Carpet

—Bald Alex

Part two of "Late Night"! It takes place a few years after it, so Alex changed his hairstyle

"Kate? Everything okay, love?" Alex said, knocking at the bathroom's door and leaning in to place his ear on it.

"Yes, give me a sec, I'll be right out." Her voice was notably hoarse, which made Alex's concern grow even more, even though they were separated by a wall.

"Kate, I'm coming in!" Alex opened the door, and he found his fiancée sat on the toilet on her white, dressing gown, covering her face with her hands.

"Fuck. Alex, what are you doing here? I said I was gonna be right out." She said, weeping tears from her cheeks rapidly.

"Kate, what's wrong? Why are you crying?" He kneeled in front of her, cupping her cheeks with both of his hands.

"Nothing, I'm fine, really."

"Kate, love, look at me." Alex tilted her chin with his index finger, forcing her to keep her eyes on him.

He observed her in detail: Her makeup was smudged and her eyes were full of tears and reddish. Alex bit her lip, trying to conceal his emotions so Kate would not feel worse.

"What's wrong? Please, tell me." He took her hands between his own, kissing her knuckles softly, focusing a bit more in her ring finger.

"Okay, fine. I'm just real nervous about tonight, everybody will be staring at me, at us, and you know I don't like being the centre of attention. Besides, if I don't win the award, I will consider it as a sign that my work's not worth it and that I'm wasting my time on doing something which I'm not actually good at."

"Kate..."

"What if is true, Alex? What if I'm not good? What if they just made a mistake nominating me, what if they regret it now? Should I just give up, not attend the ceremony and start working as a accountant in a company or something like that?" She buried her face on her hands once again as Alex gulped.

"Kate, look at me, please." Alex grabbed her hands and took them away from her face slowly.

"I know that you're anxious, this is something that seems really huge for you, and you think that you can't face it, that you're incapable of making it through. But the truth it's, babe, that these awards aren't important, to win or not to win a fucking prize won't make you less of a writer: these things are based on somebody's opinion, and not everyone can appreciate your work equally, love. If someone has bad taste, they have bad taste, and there's nothing you can do about it." Kate giggled, which made Alex relax a bit.