⟶ XILASKAR

『 Chapter 34』

Chapter 34

⤐ ♤ « 〚♞〛 » ♤ ⬷

Seiichi Ikkai is a simple man.

Although he's just barely eighteen years old, still possibly considered only a boy, he's already lead a life of success from such a young age. Staking a secure job with a good roll in the company, finding happiness and love, creating purpose in his life, Ikkai is doing well for himself.

He strives to continue his smooth life, for his being, since he was young, had been anything but. Boy-Wonder they used to call him, wise beyond his years and as sharp and smart as a blade. Educators fawned around his words and actions, sticking to him like flies to honey. He is a sickly sweet boy, the world would give him that.

A nickname like this does not come without merit, however. Ikkai was a genius, a prodigy, even. He was a boy of intellect and talent, flying through the ranks of virtue like he had been born in the sky. A step above, a thought faster, a wider vocabulary, a charming smile—he was born to be successful. Some people just are.

It's not like he was ever forced to pursue his gifts, funnily enough, but it's also important to say that nobody ever stopped him.

(Ideas and happiness stand close to the line of obsession and desire, too close to the tipping point can these interests fall, so dark and so far away. Soon lure turns to appeal, and then charm, and then fascination, and then attachment, and then craze. Things like this spiral too quickly without something or someone to keep it in check.)

It didn't take long for Ikkai to find his passion in technology. Numbers and coding, information disguised in ones and zeros, complex firewalls and secret websites, online profiles and manipulative media—he loved it all. He was a genius, as was said. But, maybe this passion had developed into something less, well, straightforward.

Ikkai found many things that he shouldn't have, discovered the deep, dark side of his friends and family, the people around him. They had been all stained by the impurities of the world, tainted by those who were so much lesser than them. It had disgusted him, people like those shouldn't know things like—

No, Seiichi is simple. He swears he is.

(He wouldn't lie to you, would he?)

He proves this when he graduates school two years early and moves into a small apartment in the Kamino Ward near his job. Ikkai always walks to work and wears a loose dress shirt and a soft tie everyday, he works the late shift sometimes so others could enjoy the sunny summer days. His income is average, good, maybe. He had lost his uniqueness and had become a cog in the machine at such a young age.