Chapter 13

The settings, the events and the procedural standards discussed in this story is purely fictional. Any scientific procedures or science related drugs used in the story has no real substance but is solely created for its fictional purposes.

***

When I woke up, my body felt numb and exhausted. I couldn't move my legs or hands; someone has tied them up on the hard surface I was sitting on; probably a chair. It took me a while to adjust to the blinding darkness and then I realized, I was in a small room like a prison with only a door in front of me.

The natural tendency for anyone was to ask for help, shout and scream, get angry and pick a spat but I know it would only cause me harm; even led me to more torture and eventually my own death. The fact that I was still alive meant they wanted something from me; probably I was an exchange for a ransom?

Then I remembered, Tian...is he alright? As I recalled, I couldn't believe I got caught in a set up. It has to be someone from our team who betrayed me. Was the kidnapping fake? Did one of my men made the deal with those people?

"Well, well, well". My thoughts were distracted by the men entering from the door. I was angry, anxious but at the same time, curious. I wanted to know what made them so bold that they could take a high ranking police officer like myself, a hostage. Anarchism was at its peak.

" You seem to be well awake now". said one of them coldly, pulling a stool closer towards me and then sat on it.

I looked up to meet the face and in horror, I recognised the face- the familiar face of Hunter- the same Hunter who was under my father's suspect list. The same Hunter whom Mew rescued me from in the cafeteria.

Impossible! My heart raced. I could never forget that face- the face that gave me chills and nightmare for two years. He was the last picture I viewed together with my father.

My heart ached and a strong mixed emotion of anger and pain rushed through my mind. It was not fair how a criminal like him was still roaming freely and continuously pursuing their illegal job while a good man like my father was  no more in this world.

Amidst the terrible feelings, the silver lining was, destiny has brought me closer to those cases my father handled while giving up his life and it raised my hopes that, I was not far away from my father's killer. Hence, the determination for me to get out of this alive, became stronger than any moral sense of justice.

Suddenly, Hunter grabbed a punch of my hair and forced me to meet his eyes. "So,  it's you- the vigilant inspector". He said mockingly. "Good gracious, you're one young flesh". He cussed pushing my head away forcefully. If only he knew, he looked as young as me.

"What do you want?" I asked calmly trying not to wince in pain.

"Your vigilance. I want you to make sure my business functions smoothly." He said grabbing both of my cheeks tightly. "Do you know how many millions your sense of justice has cost me? I might as well just shoot you and your friends".

"Please..don't hurt them."

"Why do you reckon I listen to you?"

"Because I can help you..I really can." I whispered questioning my own sanity and courage but it was unavoidable. I know I had to get out of it safely at any cause. It was the only way, I would even have a chance to arrest them someday.

"Ah, now we're talking. I didn't know you'd be this easy". 

"If you let my men walk unhurt, I'll stop interfering in your business even in the future." I bargained.

Hunter smiled in satisfaction. Of course, my team was an easy bait to paralyse me and my dignity that came with the concept of an honest police officer.