XLVII.

"According to my friend at the morgue, all three victims were shot multiple times at close range

"According to my friend at the morgue, all three victims were shot multiple times at close range. It happened approximately three hours ago, around the time Donahue was dropped off at the FBI," John reported, showing the crime scene photos.

"There were no signs of a struggle and the victims were lying on their beds. There were no reports of gunshots, so the killer must have used a silencer."

"How could the killer have gotten close enough to three military-trained assassins without an issue?" I asked.

John pointed to the screen. "The bullet wounds look sporadic and unprofessional. The medical examiner found traces of nitrous oxide in their lungs and systems, as well as an injection site on their arm."

Xavier blew out a breath in frustration.

"Whoever did this definitely wanted them incapacitated. Was there any other evidence?"

John shook his head. "No fingerprints or fibers. They cleaned up after themselves, which is weird considering how sloppy the gunshots were. But here's the weirdest part. In the room, there were old plane tickets from Los Angeles to New York and weapons hidden underneath the beds. I'm sure if they examined the bullets, it would match the ones from the shooting. All the evidence is still there."

"Why would Lorenzo kill them and not clear the room? Couldn't it lead to his conviction?" I asked.

Xavier crossed his arms. "No, this is a way for Lorenzo to close the case, to make people stop looking so closely. John, do they have a suspect?"

"Yes," John changed the screen to show a profile. "Finn Drystan, forty-five years old. He worked as a dentist in San Diego and recently moved to New York. His wife was badly injured during the shooting, leaving her paralyzed. They moved so she could get treatments for a program in the city."

"So we have the picture of a husband seeking revenge for his wife after the names of the people responsible were revealed. As a dentist, he'd have access to nitrous oxide and wouldn't have professional experience as a hitman."

"Lorenzo makes him the perfect fall guy– motive and opportunity. It will be seen as vigilante justice, and the whole thing comes to a close." I concluded.

"The government will want to close this case as quickly as possible due to media scrutiny. We need to find out who the real killers are, find the trail that leads to Lorenzo, and clear Mr. Drystan." Xavier said.

"May have something boss," Erik charged in. "The website was updated three hours ago. The word 'complete' was just typed next to the names before disappearing. There was a transfer for $50,000 for each name on the list."

"The timing is too coincidental. Those names had to be the hitmen hired to kill Anthony, Harvey, and Myers," Xavier confirmed. "The shooters were becoming more witnesses rather than assets. Lorenzo had to get rid of them."