LIII.

Prior to the explosion

"Sniper on top of the west side of the building!"

"More guards heading toward the breached gate. I can count at least seven trucks around the perimeter."

The calls kept coming in as Julian sped through the property, a squad of cars following ours and ready for Xavier's command. I held my gun steady, waiting for my time to strike.

Xavier started barking orders.

"I need someone to take out that damned sniper. Josh, you're up. No explosions and be careful when firing at the warehouse– we don't know where they're keeping the girls!" Xavier said before turning on the radio. "Everyone spread out. We need to take out their defense to get in."

The warehouse was in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by trees and empty streets. It was mostly dark, with few street lights along the roads. The sky was clear for the full moon to shine our surroundings.

It was a private property, so we wouldn't have to worry about collateral damage or civilians passing by.

Which meant I wouldn't feel an ounce of guilt on what we were about to do.

Tick. Tick. Tick.

Josh began moving around beside me, grabbing a large bag that carried his weapon. "I need to get to higher ground. Drop me off so I can climb one of the trees. I'll take out any snipers on the roof and meet you there."

Julian stopped the car so his twin could hop out. Josh quickly blended into the shadows, out of sight.

"Park here. We're going on foot with some of the men. We'll leave the car here and one of the men will watch it. The other cars will be the big offense while we pick them off. Let's go." Xavier instructed.

I held my gun up, went into the shadows, and stealthily maneuvered through the darkness.

Hearing shouting and gunfire, I knew we entered the battlefield.

I kept my eye on any guards, effectively getting rid of the threat. Those fuckers were nothing but objects in the way.

I quickly hid behind a tree to block the bullets fired in my direction. Xavier moved to another tree before returning fire, taking three men down quickly. The sounds of gunfire echoed through as our backup kept shooting. The familiar battle adrenaline filled my veins as I shot another person.

"Do you have eyes on Julian?" Xavier asked as he reloaded his gun.

I checked my surroundings before letting out a curse when a bullet made some bark on the tree explode. I felt it rain down my head, but I brushed the fragments off.

I quickly looked out again and spotted Julian slice a man's throat and then drop him like a sack of potatoes. He attacked his next unsuspecting victim, who screamed in agony as he too fell to Julian's knives.