XLIII.

Since there have been some shorter chapters recently, here's a longer one!

XOXO

-L

"We should be there in twenty minutes, so let's go over some rules

"We should be there in twenty minutes, so let's go over some rules." Xavier said as he looked at me through the rearview mirror.

I rubbed my sweaty hands on my dress.

"Like what?" I asked tentatively. "Did I pick a bad place? Was I supposed to go undercover and wear a wig or something? Did I forget–"

"Whoa, Ro," Xavier cut off my rant. "Nothing like that. But one thing that you need to have is your cool. If you freak out, you aren't going to be in the right headspace to do this. Things can go wrong real easily, especially with Lorenzo on the loose. You copy?"

"I copy, sir!" Julian shouted and did a mock salute. Damon glared in his direction and Jasmine rolled her eyes before going back to inspecting her nails.

"Got it." I nodded and grabbed Damon's hand for comfort.

"You're going to do great, ma'am. But don't poke the cop in the eye with your fork. I did that one time and man, you don't want to do that at the club. Too crowded to run away, especially in heels. It's not easy running in heels, trust me." Josh rambled.

I blinked at him before focusing on Xavier.

"Anyway," Xavier sent a glare Josh's way before facing me. "The main rules are to stay in sight and to follow orders. We're going to give you a comm so we can listen in on the conversation. For privacy sake, your comm will only be connected to me and Damon during your meeting with Adlai. If anything goes wrong, you'll be connected to the others.

"While it might be hard, follow orders. If I tell you to do something, do it – no matter what. If it sounds ridiculous or difficult to comprehend, I need you to do it anyway. There's a reason and a move for everything, remember that." Xavier finished.

I started twirling my hair with my free hand, thinking through everything.

"You got this," Damon squeezed my hand. "But if you want to back out–"

"I won't. Hopefully this will play in both our favors. But thank you for caring." I pressed a kiss to his cheek.

"Hehe, she left a lipstick mark on your cheek." Julian snickered.

"Real mature." Jasmine said dryly.

"Like you haven't rubbed your lipstick all over me." Josh retorted, pouting childishly.

"Children, children. Let's behave," Josh mocked. "You're ruining the show!"

"Enough." Damon said, with a finality that made all the bickering stop instantly. I looked up at him with a small smile as he glared at everyone in the car. If I didn't know him so well, I would have found it intimidating.