XLVIII.

"Five minutes out

"Five minutes out. Adlai is waiting for us." I reported, ending a call with Erik.

Murmurs of Rosaline's declaration of love muddled my brain, making it hard to remain focused. The last thing I needed was to be the dopey-eyed fool I wanted to be and mess up this operation.

Still, I couldn't help the small smile that escaped before forcing my usual scowl. I could think about it when I held Rosaline in my arms later.

"Good. Did Erik manage to give an update on Jasmine's ETA?" Xavier asked, fixing his wristwatch and ear comm.

While Xavier and Jasmine were dressed to socialize for the event, I was dressed as a security guard. Once we arrived, I would meet with Adlai first and check on his part of the mission. Just because he's willing to help doesn't mean that he couldn't have his own agenda.

"Something is apparently wrong with the frequency. She may have to meet us without it."

Xavier shook his head. "It's a vital piece tonight. We can always work around it, but it will all be easier for all of us if Erik can fix the gadget for Jasmine."

I nodded as I adjusted the suit I was forced into.

"And, Damon?" Xavier called out as the driver pulled over to the venue.

"Yes?" I replied absently.

"Make sure to wipe the lovestruck look on your face. I don't have the time to mock you about it, Asshole. But I'm happy for you."

Of course, my best friend knew. I wasn't angry about it though. I gave him a nod of acknowledgement before we got out of the car.

Xavier tapped his ear to let me know he was listening before going inside. I put in my earpiece, one that was visible and obvious to others that I was part of the security team. Following the directions Adlai gave me, I walked around to meet him in the back.

I found the man pacing at the door until he spotted me.

"Mr. Cohen," Agent Adlai acknowledged. "I'd say it's a pleasure, but I fear you're only going to bring more stress and anxiety."

I held back a snort, nodding and forcing myself to make conversation.

"Yes, but not many people would be willing to do this."

"Right, I just happen to be one of those people. It's not like I'm breaking a load of federal protocols and laws...Let's move on before I change my mind." Adlai gestured for me to follow him.

We walked through some halls before we entered the main security room. Adlai greeted some people passing by before dismissing one agent in a chair. Soon we were alone in the main security room.

"There are six entrances. The guests go through the main door, the staff use the door on the far west, while security goes through the back door in the east. That's where we came in. Important VIPS like Senator Wiseman will be using the side door, about forty feet away from our door."