XXXVII.

"How did the cupcake not get squished in your purse?" I asked, washing my hands as Maria ate the pastry happily, her body relaxed after her foot massage

Damon and Maria had gotten back about an hour ago, looking stressed. Maria dragged me to my wing while Damon made a few calls to Xavier and updated John about the evening.

As I took care of Maria, she told me about her experience at the charity event. Since she was an important figure due to being Xavier's wife, she didn't necessarily have any "fun". She also told me about getting pulled over by Detective– Special Agent Benson now.

"It's a talent I perfected over the years. I've been doing it since high school," Maria said with pride in her voice. I laughed as I returned with a glass of water. "And thank you for the massage. It's been a long-ass night."

Maria was still in her dress, which was crumpled up, and her face clean of makeup. It was an absolute mess when she arrived and offered her wipes to get rid of the remnants of makeup on her face.

"Was it when you were threatening to sucker punch some of the donors or when you threw the registration at Benson's face?" Damon called out, scooping cookie dough onto trays.

I smiled at the sight. He had promised Maria that he would make them for her. While his cookies were amazing, his butter croissants that he made were my favorite.

Mmm...maybe I can get him to bake them sometime this week.

"Shush. Did you have a bunch of people rubbing your stomach and then get a traffic ticket because a former friend wanted to be petty? I don't think so! It's been a long night."

Damon snorted but continued scooping cookies.

"It's not even eleven. You're just a bigger pain in the ass than usual."

"Oh, please. I always have been but you're used to me being more subtle. I don't know...now that I'm pregnant, I feel this sense of power and I'm starting to not give a shit. There's not that much of a filter."

"Really?" Damon and I both said together, earning us a glare.

"I love you Maria, but you need to not cross lines. And you are also being...more blunt than usual." I tried to say my words carefully.

You didn't mess with an almost-six-months pregnant woman.

"Very blunt." Damon agreed.

Maria raised her hands innocently. "Okay, okay, I hear your pleas. I'll stop bringing up your sex lives."

I spat out my water and I heard a clang from the kitchen.

Maria's eyes widened and she grabbed her head.

"Shit! I mean– sex? What is sex? I never heard of it– ignore the bump. You know– a stork put it in my stomach! I-I-I gotta pee!"

I continued coughing as Maria dashed for the bathroom, way faster than I had seen her move in months. If I hadn't been mortified and wheezing, I would've been impressed with how quickly she moved.